We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odeon Cinema Ayr

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Odeon Cinema Ayr

What's it like inside these days?

Worth going to, or is it still adviseable to schlepp up the A77 to Kilmarnock Odeon?

thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

Don't think its changed much at all inside since around about the 70s!!!!!!!!!!! Always head up to Kilmarnock when we are wanting to see a film.....

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

Ah Kilmarnock it still is then. Thanks Megron!

scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

the odeon in ayr and kilmarnock only very mainstream and commercial films for the hard of thinking.they are very poor cinema's in terms of what they show.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

Cheers for that useful contribution. If you are having problems tracking down non-mainstream movies are you aware they are usually readily available on the internet shortly after release? Some may take a little more detective work than others, but I see you are able to use the internet.

Do you have a favourite cinema in Glasgow perchance?

ps did you miss us?

Edited: 09 March 2010, 15:15
Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

Well guess I must be "hard of thinking" then as I enjoy going to the flicks!!!!! :)

Went to Killie last Friday with my daughter to see Alice in Wonderland 3D and it was well worth it.........

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

See they are now showing 3D in Ayr Odeon - took the kids last Thursday to see "How To Train Your Dragon" and in all fairness it was fine..... toilets are dire though but the film is a must see!!!!!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

It can be a real problem to get "non-mainstream" films seen on a decent sized screen. The internet is no substitute.

One of the best, and oldest, cinemas in Glasgow (The Salon) was vandalised some years ago and is now a rubbish restaurant/bar. Such is progress

Edited: 07 April 2010, 20:46
scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

cineworld in glasgow (renfrew street) show's many films that are not mainstream and would never be shown in an odeon in provincial towns. i recommend the cineworld membership card. we use it all the time.threre is also the gft.these cinema's are part of the joy of living in glasgow.

Scotland
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

Kilmarnock has a better one but the one at Ayr's fine. It just doesn't have as much choice as the Ayr one.

Prestwick, Scotland
Level Contributor
88 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odeon Cinema Ayr

we tend to go to kilmarnock if going to the pictures - it has ample parking (unlike ayr), better choice of movies(unlike ayr), bigger screens(unlike ayr), etc, etc.

was there not a plan some yeas ago to build a leisure complex at heathfield with cinema, bowling, hypermarket, restaurants? - with Asda and Frankie & Bennys now there the only thing missing is a decent cinema for South Ayrshire.