We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

Ayr
Level Contributor
379 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

I posted a message with the above subject title.......... and ended up with my entire email address in the subject heading!!! How on earth can that happen. However I was referring to T/A getting some reviews during a discussion on the Fred McAulay show on Radio Scotland this morning ........... worth a listen. I only usually ever get a chance to listen to morning radio if I'm in the car , and this morning I nearly drove through a red light!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

Yes I heard most of that interview whilst on the M8 this morning. It seemed to be with a woman who runs a restaurant and was very anti trip advisor.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

just checked it out on iplayer. they briefly talked restaurant reviews with woman from the three chimneys restaurant who mentioned with some distain that tripadvisor was very american. I thought that was a little off colour. she also dismissed pretty much all reviews here. gee thanks! as a feature it was very lightweight, but I don't suppose they intended to delve very deeply. jeremy vine did a much more in-depth piece a few weeks ago. the macauley interview is 22 minutes in to todays programme on iplayer if anypne wants to listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074hh3

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

Problem for TA - and they have brought it on themselves; regulars on many forums have been warning them for some time - is that bad news IS news; good news isn't!

A "bad news" story gets momentum and starts getting picked up by various folk in the media. It's an "easy" one for them; they watch/listen/read about a TA review report in the media and much of the work is done for them. They then find one unhappy person and story is there for them. If they only find happy people, story probably won't go out.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

Having just read the reviews for the Three Chimneys, I'm not surprised the woman wasn't a fan of TA. Quite a mixed bag of reviews. I wonder if it's because people have such high expectations of a restaurant that charges these sorts of prices?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

Just looked at the reviews also. Purple C has a thread on the Glasgow forum asking if owners read the reviews. The 3 Cs lady certainly does; answers; and appears to contact the complainants directly. There is a touch of “arrogance” perhaps in her replies and a touch of doubt that any bad comments are justified. However, she does try. Again, there are one or two very nasty postings; not well supported with detail; and where the owner has tried to approach the folk to assist but has either been rebuffed or ignored.

Again with TA reviews, just as a plethora of one-post wonders all saying how marvellous a place is and using very similar language can be dubious; so can very strong, one posting “attacks”.

But …. “Reviews you can trust”! So ….

Ayr
Level Contributor
379 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

The radio "debate" seems to be the tip of the iceberg according to various sources at the moment. As far as those in the trade are concerned, unverified reviews are not worth the paper (screen) they are written on and my goodness there is a lot of rubbish to wade through right now. Of course the hospitality trade don't expect a screed of glowing reports seen through rose tinted specs, that would defeat the purpose totally, but would all settle for fair, and to publish ONLY verified reviews would at least be a start for a fairer system.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

It is indeed the very tip of the iceberg as the recent output in the media will confirm. I have been involved albeit briefly in some of that. Here's just one of many recent articles.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8079786/Fa…

I have said elsewhere that some form of verification would be helpful so that reviews will be seen as more credible. Rogue/false/malicious reviews, so often from within the industry itself, should be less likely to spring from verified members.

On a basic level this could involve TA sending out stamped addressed postcards for members to return, thereby confirming who they are and where they live. This could be a voluntary thing, and while not foolproof, it might be a positive move in the right direction. Reviews from verified reviewers could be highlighted as such, and perhaps attract more credibility. Photos with reviews can help confidence with reviews.

Any other ideas?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

Hi folks - my ideas coupled with keeping it "simple" for simple IT folk such as TA and self:

1. NO review postable or acceptable unless reviewer has patience (2 mins?) to put some detail in their profile. Those entries would enable reviews to be made. Most one-post wonders have no detail whatsoever as they never intended to "join" TA.

and/or

2. Only after (say) 5 postings of any kind (and some profile details), would a review be accepted. Again, one-post wonders are not interested in giving anything to other TA folk.

Edited: 17 November 2010, 08:25
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

I totally agree with comment on photographs, which I always try to take whenever I stay at hotels. They tend to give a more accurate representation of the location than the "enhanced" shots provided by the hotel itself (especially with regard to the conditions in the surrounding area). It also generally proves that the reviewer has been there and can substantiate negative comments/remarks (e.g. broken fittings, fungal growth in bathrooms, etc.)

10. Re: T/A is now getting it's reviews on radio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 05:16