We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Which Ayr hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Did anyone see last night's Reporting Scotland article on a Minishant Indian restaurant which delivered all the way to Dubai (including the chef)? Is it the Ayre Spice Indian Restaurant and was this a publicity stunt?

Ayr
Level Contributor
569 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Hi Johnboy,

No it's apparently true. The food is not bad in there but there would be other take aways higher up my list.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Indeed, a very long way.

Considering the vast number of Sub-continent restaurants there are in Dubai, one wonders if the client had very particular tastes - or in fact eats out locally.

Perhaps also an opening for the (Minishant) Burns Country Smokehouse?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Its a nice little scoop for their publicist guy but who on earth would want to eat any kind of fish dish that required reheating some considerable time after being cooked. Fish is best cooked and eaten fresh innit.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

I would take both the meal and the story with a pinch of salt.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

I cant see why they'd make it up, but I still won't eat there.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 16:37
Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

I had the displeasure of visiting Ayr spice one lunchtime 2 weeks ago on the way to Maidens and i have to say i was extremely disappointed. My wife and I and our two children were the only people in the place and were greeted by a waiter who had only just started from Essex and admitted he had great difficulty understanding the local dialect. We asked for the business lunch which was three courses and priced at £9.95 and there was an European Menu which was £7.95. we ordered drinks which i had a pint of tennents lager and the rest of my family had soft drinks from a can which the waiter poured into a smaller glass but did not give us what was left in the can. He then asked us if we would like some poppadoms and dips to which we replied yes to as in most business lunches you get these free gratis but not this one which i only found out when i got the bill later. My wife and i and my oldest child orderd from the 3 course indian menu and my daughter ordered an European meal. I ordered fish pakora and my wife and son ordered the chicken pakora for main meal i ordered a lamb phal, my wife a lamb bhoona and my son a chicken tikka my daughter ordered fish and chips. As the meals only come with either rice or a chapati i asked if i could swap it for chips but was told bluntly no and that would be extra so we ordered 1 rice, 2 chapati's and extra chips. when the starters came later on they were soggy and bland and they do not provide any pakora sauce, luckily we still had some sauces left from the poppadoms we were offered earlier. My fish pakora was soggy and the chicken pakora was not much better. After waiting another 30 mins for our main course, baring in mind we were the only people in the place. My wife and i and my son's dinner was served. Unfortunately the temperature of the food was not that hot and the lamb was fatty although it was tender. The phal was not very hot although i had asked for him to make the hottest curry he could - i have had hotter madras - my wifes bhoona and my son's tikka sauce were uncannily alike in the taste department and we had to wait another 5 minutes for my sons chicken tikka to come which meant the food was even colder by the time we started to eat together as a family. The portion size was not that good so we ordered some more chips which were not very good. i also ordered a can of tennents.When we had finished the main course the family had ice cream. I then went to pay the bill and this was when i got a bigger shock - i fully expected to pay a few quid as the meals were going to cost £37.80 any way but i did not expect to pay £59.40. The added extras included £5.20 for 4!!! poppadoms and some dips which when he asked if i would like some i thought would be free - in any case if i had to pay then so be it but £5.20 is excessive for 4 poppadoms and some dips.2 extra portions of chips was £4 which is ok £1.50 for a can which we did not get the whole of the can is the going rate but £3.95 each for a pint and then a can of tennents is excessive.

I for one like good value for money which i am afraid i did not get here and have tasted much better Indian food locally (Pearl tandoori in Girvan or the Lawthorn farm in Irvine) a lot cheaper. I for one will not be back and i feel that when people who in this recession are looking for value for money then i am afraid they will be disappointed with this restaurant and it will go the same way as the previous one which occupied the church and i believe the Chef is still the same.

This is an honest reflection of my thoughts on the place and not meant to be derogatory in any way.

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

"He then asked us if we would like some poppadoms and dips to which we replied yes to as in most business lunches you get these free"

To be fair, I don't think I've *ever* had free 'doms included in a business lunch.

Thanks for the tip though, I'm heading to Ayrshire shortly and will check out Pearl Tandoori instead.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

My rule of thumb when eating out;

If the waiter suggests some pre-meal appetiser and I accept, it will be billed.

If the waiter places something on the table without asking, its complimentary.

'Olives or rosemary focaccia for the lady?'

'yes indeed, I'll take olives the please *

*2.95 onto bill*

ps bigtamba of the one star ayr spice review and five star pearl tandoori review, I'm hoping there will be more curry related recommendations and chat from you sir. I didnt know there was a recommended place in Girvan. I do now.

pps lawthorn farm tandoori Irvine - free popadoms

Ayr India wellington square - not free popadoms

Maharani Indian Troon - free popadoms

Balbirs - not free popadoms

Rupee Room Ayr - bit hazy on that one

Taj Prestwick - no idea

Edited: 19 August 2011, 16:47
Ayr
Level Contributor
569 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Totally agree with Bigtamba,

Service in Ayr Spice is usually very poor and the last couple of times we have been our food hasn't really been very hot, as in temperature wise. The last time we were in the service was shambolic to say the least. I dont think it was the young waiting staffs fault, I just they have been flung in at the deep end with no training. More in depth review to follow.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Way for an Indian Kerry Oot!

Well, looks like the article on Rep Scot was just one big PR exercise. Don't think I'll be visiting this place the next time I'm in the heart of Burns country.