We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nut Free Indian

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
Nut Free Indian

A local Indian/Tandoori restaurant once served up a tikka masala containing nuts despite a very specific warning that one diner had a nut allergy. A BBC article on the perils of Indians doing just this and also using illegal colourings reminded me of the incident.

"Local Government Group study says that when nut-free chicken tikkas were ordered, 20% still contained nuts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14768096

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Mentioned in this post
BBC
BBC
38 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Ayr India
££ - £££, Indian, Asian, Balti
Indian Times
££ - £££, Indian, Balti, Asian
Ayr India
££ - £££, Indian, Asian, Balti
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nut Free Indian

I don't have experience of an incident involving nuts in a supposed nut-free dish, but the BBC article mentions several problems which need to be addressed in many takeaway food outlets.

I have not eaten takeaway food for a very long time because of the obviously high levels of salt, sugar and colouring that so many, perhaps the majority, serve. I recently wrote about a place in Ayr which served some of the most colourful food I have ever seen. That is, full of colouring and totally lacking in natural taste. That was a restaurant which also sold takeaway food so the problem is not just confined to takeaways.

Also, and this may appall you pc, I have seen food served to a vegetarian from the same pan which had just prepared a meat dish. Clearly not fatal but done without regard to the customer. I doubt whether all restaurants which claim to serve vegetarian food actually cook with separate oil for meat and non-meat.

Food for thought.

Mentioned in this post
BBC
BBC
38 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
750 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nut Free Indian

Yes, we have the same problem with gluten-free. They say "OK gluten-free!" when it obviously isn't. Also for MSG as well.

They really don't understand the health risks. One has to *really* trust the chef and waiter to really understand the issue and be honest!

3. Re: Nut Free Indian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 05:16