We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

Would post a review but its not listed. Had a decent evening meal here recently for a decent price; £8.99 for starter, main course with rice, naan or chapati, plus a poppadum with chutney dips.

Early evening deal has been extended from 6pm to 8pm. Cheerful service in an informal homely setting. The menu offers old-school style Indian cuisine with very rich flavourful sauces and familiar dishes. Vegetarians seem to be reasonably well catered for.

I don't always want to spend the extra pennies on a meal at the upscale Ayr India - Wellington Square, or have the room to gorge on a fabulous four course banquet at Balbirs at Route 77. New Kashmir might not win awards, and yes they do use colouring which I'm not a fan of, but the food was hot, tasty and excellent value for money. The huge naan bread was among the best I've tasted.

Pity that Papa Doms much promised new restaurant and takeaway seems to have stalled. Still can't persuade the family to return to Ayr Spice in Minishant. Not for the want of trying as I've heard its improved.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

Sounds like a decent spot. What did you eat?

Abs :)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

Abs there were bhajiis and some chicken and vegetable curries involved. Never have dessert.

If Balbirs is the sort of smart place I'd go for special occasions and birthdays, then New Kashmir the sort of place I'd save for days when I can't be bothered to cook tea and just want to relax, if that makes sense. Its a no frills kind of place.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

Yes, I would agree with that. The place is my guilty pleasure. Good food, good price and, since we can never finish the dishes (esp, the naan), everybody is happy when a doggy bag is requested.

Mr Basrai may, just may, become another place to go to in Ayr for a simple filling and tasty meal of good value - if they keep up the standard. I am not fond of buffet places in general but time will tell with that one. I do not think their Chinese dishes will ever be up to scratch though.

Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
648 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

Hope the new one in Prestwick-Anise-gives the Taj a run for it's money when it opens next year. I just hope it's in it for the long haul and serves up some good fayre.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

I know you guys are talking about sit in Indian but if your ever up that way, mossblowns Indian carry out is hard to beat for a take out! Scoobz

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

You wait and wait the then three come along all at once. I mean reviews of New Kashmir;)

I've pretty much copied, pasted and edited what I've said here in my review. The other two reviews are pretty positive.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186574-…

7. Re: New Kashmir Indian Tandoori. Budget friendly restaurant.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 10:16