We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,962 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Who are the brave souls opening a restaurant next door to the West Kirk pub on the Sandgate? The location seems to be jinxed so I wish them luck! The first part of their name is in greek lettering and the rest says Greek Taverna.

I might go when they open but am falling at the first hurdle since I don't know what their name is. Anyone?

Mentioned in this post
The West Kirk
The West Kirk
384 Reviews
Ayr, UK
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Cafe Med Greek Taverna.

Previously to that was the Turkish restaurant that lasted just over a year.

They appear to believe that miracles can happen in Ayr.

Mentioned in this post
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,962 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

I could have made many a guess as to what the word was but Cafe Med didn't pop into my head. Nothing wrong with blind faith I guess. Fingers crossed for them.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Now you just need to find a German to pay the bill.....

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

It looks quite pleasant inside but the menu is similar to that of its predecessor (which I liked - but we know what happened there) and the prices are not cheap. They are offering a lunch deal at £6.95 which would be a good way to test it out. They only take cash at this time and have no alcohol licence (but you can bring a bottle and pay corkage).

I will be in there some time soon, after getting through my list of three other new(ish) places.

I wonder if they accept €uros? :-/

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Hey Sandlab....

What are these other 3 newish places you are trying? And can you let me know how you get on with these and the Greek please?

I have lived in Ayr for 2 years and have tried several restaurants but having young kids means getting out is infrequent, so when we do get out I don't want to waste it!!

If you post here I will pick up your feedback.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Mission accomplished on No. 1 -

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186575-d317…

The next two planned are Lychees Ayr and the (new) Riverside Inn. Plus our Taverna of course. Cannot guarantee I/we will write about them all though.

Mentioned in this post
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,962 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Nice review of Indian Links Sandlab!

I managed to covertly snap a photo of their dining room: tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Lychees is a wee bit more expensive but we had a decent lunch there, and its a pleasant dining room.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

Thanks PC. I did notice you were at Indian Links earlier, but only after I had written my review.

I have already tried Lychees and was pleasantly surprised. They are clearly having the same problems faced by many restaurants these days. However, if the quality on our next visit is as good as it was on our last, then I will definitely write something to that effect. It is a tragedy that good places might sink because of lack of support (think the Hungry Monk) so I feel it is only right that we provide a bit of advertising for places that need and deserve praise.

home
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

It's called Larisa's apparently.

A friend just told me about it, with glowing report and I've been advised to book a table as it's busy.

Can't wait!

Ayr
Level Contributor
584 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Greek Taverna on Sandgate

I was there two weeks ago with my GF.

Service was very good and the food was also pretty good too. They still dont have a license so pop into the Co-Op across the road for your vino.

It was quite busy when we were in, so promising signs.

Will definately go back.

BTW, I know this is the Ayr forum but the new Indian Links restaurant in Prestwick ( mentioned earlier) is definately worth a look. Service and food really good and also some good deals on.

Mentioned in this post
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK