We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

Hi- I am organizing a day trip from Glasgow to Ayr and Culzean Castle. I have the train schedule (scotrail from Glasgow central) and the stagecoach bus route 60 schedule. I can't find info on the distance between the rail station and the bus stop. Also, we will probably want to walk around/grab a bite to eat in a cute area of Ayr. Is it all close? Here is the plan:

Scotrail from GLA central 8:30 to Ayr at 9:18

Bus 60 to Culzean at 9:50 ( arrive 10:21- just as castle opens)

Return bus 60 at 1:05 (arrive back in Ayr at 1:37)

Walk/eat/ shop around Ayr for about 2hours

Return scotrail to GLA central at 3:48 (arrive 4:40)

I know this isn't a lot of time, but does that work? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

The 60: I think Stance 6 Bus Station on Sandgate. Zoom in and see the bus station at the South end of the street.

http://goo.gl/maps/t3wFn

The rail station is South-East of Sandgate, 1/2 mile, 10 min walk.

You're OK for timings unless there's a train delay. You could hope for a taxi if time is tight - there's a rank on the road just outside the station.

On your return, not sure if Ayr counts as cute, but most of the shopping areas are between Sandgate and the river.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

there is a considerable hill walk from park entrance and bus stop to actual castle and back. you havent factored in nearly enough time for a rudimentary visit to culzean. check out the restaurant reviews for ayr town on map view. you can test out walk between train and bus via google street view though ayr is not cute. have great trip.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

duplicate posting

Edited: 08 August 2013, 02:11
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

Thanks- now thinking maybe we should plan more time at castle and less time in Ayr - or is there another town that would be better? We could take train back from maybole, for example, if that is better? I really appreciate the advice - thank you!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
77 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

I would also note that you do not necessarily need to go to the bus station from the train station in Ayr to pick up a No. 60 bus. There is a stop just outside the station! As you walk out the main gates from the station complex you are facing Burns Statue Square. There are a collection of bus stops to the right, the North side of the square. That is about 100 yds away. Just check you are waiting at the correct stop for your 60.

Similarly, coming back. You can leave the bus in the same area. There are plenty of restaurants around the Burns Statue Square / Miller Road area - Atrium, Tudor, Mr Basrai (all in the square) and Lychees (Chinese) or Kylestrom in Miller Road all have their devotees.

Enjoy!

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

And would not recommend Maybole rather than Ayr for a stop ;-)

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

Sounds good - can we just pay once we get on the bus or get a ticket at the train station? How much is the bus?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

check scotrails website for timetables and prices of trains including family days out or groupsaver offers. no idea of bus prices sorry. ayr has plenty to offer for a few hours wander including a beach. it is an historic borough of over 800 years standing but its not chocolate box cute. maybe old alloway village on the outskirts of ayr has some cute vistas :)

Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

Pay as you get on the bus.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ayr rail station - near bus stop and town? Need advice soon!

travelinescotland.com/journeyplanner/enterJo… contains both bus and train details. It too recommends Maybole for the changeover if combining train and bus :-)

Get answers to your questions about Ayr
Recent Conversations