We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wetherspoons

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Wetherspoons

Any word on when the Prestwick Wetherspoons is likely to open? Its good news for lovers of real ale, and anyone looking for a place to grab a reasonably priced lunch where you won't feel ripped off if you enjoy a bottle of wine with your meal. I really appreciate their noise policy which makes holding a conversation much easier. Good to see companies like them having enough faith to put money into the town right now.

210 replies to this topic
scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Wetherspoons

i suspect that stirling has chosen not to have a wetherspoons, stirling is a major tourist attraction for scotland and it's not a great advert for a town. also the customer base that wetherspoons aim for is more prevalent in ayr/prestwick than stirling. most likely another good reason why wetherspoons is not in stirling.

walk past wetherspoons in kilmarnock or ayr at 2pm in the afternoon to see what the clientele are like out smoking.

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wetherspoons

I quite agree, which town would want decent budget food and drink for tourists? 11 you are talking codswallop

13. Re: Wetherspoons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2011, 09:35

scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Wetherspoons

hi, its quite simple. wetherspoons will always have there pubs in prime retail space in busy city centres such as george street in edinburgh or the counting house in glasgow. they are generally not frequented by undesirable as they have good security and know the customer base they are appealing to. thats why wetherspoons in city centres are okayish, up to a point but still not my bag.

the problem with wetherspoons in the small towns in scotland which have less disposable income in them, such as ayr, prestwick and kilmarnock they are appealing to a less desirable customer base, hence you will always have your undesirables in drinking bars selling cheap alcohol in small towns suffering from social deprivation. such as the towns mentioned above.

you'll get a double vodka and pie and beans for a fiver in the withersppons in ayr, or deals similar to that. batter in if thats your bag.just be prepared to put up with the corresponding clientele.

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wetherspoons

What is wrong with the clientele? You arent answering the question. Or the one about how you know what Wetherspoons is like when you say you havent been for years

And I am not along in thinking, if blinkered idiots like you are in other pubs, then Wetherspoons is a pretty good place to be

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Wetherspoons

123, your comments would be more beliveable if you learn how to use the shift key.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wetherspoons

I love Pie, Chips and Beans, not so keen to wash it down with a double voddie mind you!!

So do i suddenly fall into the undesirable category?

And have you not forgot that mostly all Wetherspoons have a family dining area, so hardly spit and sawdust dens are they.

Great service, prices and choice, what more can you ask for, and i've never seen any trouble or felt intimidated in one yet.

18. Re: Wetherspoons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 12:55

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Wetherspoons

I like a juke box and a bit of noise in a pub, i find wetherspoons a bit boring and soulless.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Wetherspoons

"sorry if that upsets but as said, its a matter of choice. i've made mine."

As have a few others in here. ;o)

The following is a list of capital letters. Feel free to use them as required and let me know if you need anymore.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

:oP

Reply to: Wetherspoons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted