We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wetherspoons

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Wetherspoons

Any word on when the Prestwick Wetherspoons is likely to open? Its good news for lovers of real ale, and anyone looking for a place to grab a reasonably priced lunch where you won't feel ripped off if you enjoy a bottle of wine with your meal. I really appreciate their noise policy which makes holding a conversation much easier. Good to see companies like them having enough faith to put money into the town right now.

210 replies to this topic
Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Wetherspoons

Just passed Woolies this afternoon, lights all on, and guys beavering away inside. Probably be open for Christmas :-)

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Wetherspoons

clova, respect your view point, however dont agree, wspns does fresh food, fish freshly battered. Etc etc. It inexpensive food good to encourage people to be able to afford to eat while drinking. If i want a special meal then plenty of places can give me that locally too. Have to disagree ref pubs already around can give u all the beers, not a hope .

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Wetherspoons

The only "fresh food" that JDWs would offer here would be salads, everything else is pre-prepared and chilled, them microwaved or comes straight out the freezer. If you ask for fish and chips, the fish itself might be coated with fresh batter, but the piece of fish will have come out of the freezer.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Wetherspoons

In common with many (most?) restaurants nowadays.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Wetherspoons

The JDW argument could rattle on and on. You either think it's the best thing to happen to pubs or one of the worst. We all have our own opinions on that. I think that they're a wee bit better than places like Yate's and the like but at the same time cannot hold a candle to a proper local pub. Hence the reason i would never recommend them for visitors to the city who are looking for a typical Scottish experience. There are so many better places to try out there.

I do think it's good that the chain has utilised some grand or traditional buildings. No one likes to see shop fronts boarded up but my big bugbear is with the message that they sell good quality fresh food. The food may be cheap but is straight from suppliers and reheated. If you want a curry go to one of the hundreds of Indian restaurants dotted all around Glasgow. The prices are similar and at least it's a bit authentic. If you want pasta, go to an Italian. If you want pub grub go to the Horseshoe or any other pub that will be making the same type of food, maybe even home-made and fresh. Fish and chips can be bought on every street corner in Scotland and dare i say it, if you want a burger, then i prefer McDonalds to the dried lump of gristle served in some JDW's.

Apart from that, they're alright i suppose. ;-)

Edited: 22 November 2010, 11:19
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Wetherspoons

<<and dare i say it, >>

No please no!

I think some people in here are making the mistake of thinking that other pubs and chain restaurants sell mainly fresh food. It just does not happen nowadays. Let's compare like for like.

Comparing JD's curry to a good Indian is not really on. I would not go to JD's for a curry experience ... but then JD's serve cheaper and better beer. ;o)

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Wetherspoons

Cheaper yes, better, not necessarily! Maybe the outcome should be for JDW to become a real ale pub only and that would mean i would never have to darken it's doors for anything ever again!

I'm obvously lucky because my local pub out in the sticks always serves fresh food and i must choose well in the city as well as there's usually plenty of fresh grub on the menus of the pubs i go to there.

But to be fair, food is secondary in most pubs, even JDW are the real attraction for going is the cheap beer. If you like the surroundings, atmosphere and terrible service then it will be great ;-)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Wetherspoons

Well we are really discussing the new weatherspoons in prestwick, and if the staff are as pleasant, the beer as award winning, and the atmosphere as good as the West Kirk in Ayr, then I will be more than happy. Lets face it, no-one goes there for a gourmet meal, but at the end of a long days work, I'd happily drop in and have a bite to eat and save myself the hassle of cooking and washing.It has it's place in the pantheon of places that serve food. Like eating a Mcdonalds, it's really not adviseable to do that every day ;-)

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Wetherspoons

Neither's drinking too much real ale ;-0

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Wetherspoons

<<terrible service>>

In my experience the service in Wetherspoon's shops is no different from anywhere else. In some of them (like the Counting House in George Square on a Saturday at 17.30) the service is bad because they are so busy. In others the service is first class.

I was in Hengler's Circus last Saturday evening and the service was great. I was in the Esquire House on Saturday gone and it was also great. Do not judge the service in JD's on one pub. That;'s like getting bad service in a Glasgow pub and concluding that all the rest are the same. JD's has almost 800 pubs in the UK. Clearly the service in some will be better than others.

Reply to: Wetherspoons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted