We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wetherspoons (again)

Ayr
Level Contributor
571 posts
293 reviews
Save Topic
Wetherspoons (again)

I know everybody has went on about this, however if you want crap service, crap food and surrounded by the local Alkies, please go to to the new Wotherspoons in Prestwick when it arrives. Enjoy.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
613 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

Can someone bring me up to speed please. Back shortly for the Scottish Grand National and always stop in Prestwick. 28 years and counting, seen a lot of changes. Is The Eagle still open, and the Red Lion just about next door; great food. Up to last year anyway.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

They were both open a few weeks ago from what I could see. No sign of a Wetherspoons emerging from the empty shell that was once woolworths though.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
613 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

Once again, thanks for that purple. No doubt they are struggling with objections as once Wetherspoons get a property they've normally got it open in next to no time; down here anyway, Lol.

Freckleton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

Purple, I have friends who work for Buzzworks and Colin Blair (The owner of B.Works) has came up with a bizarre and childish tactic. Both Buzzworks and J.D.Wetherspoon have been granted permission but the way Colin Blair is going about it is if Wetherspoon open, we open, if they don't, we won't! Coming from what is meant to be a massive business owner its Ridiculous and pathetically childish! The latest news currently is that Buzzworks have thrown the dummy out the pram and taken South Ayrshire Council to court. Well i wish them all the best because if they continue playing the childish tactics card, they're going to get nowhere.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

I would think that if they go up against JD's they will lose.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

Youngscot this spat you mention seems to be getting all very undignified. The silly season has indeed begun!

The Buzzworks places seem quite smart and well run. Are they a good company to work for?

"Purple, I have friends who work for Buzzworks and Colin Blair (The owner of B.Works) has came up with a bizarre and childish tactic. Both Buzzworks and J.D.Wetherspoon have been granted permission but the way Colin Blair is going about it is if Wetherspoon open, we open, if they don't, we won't! Coming from what is meant to be a massive business owner its Ridiculous and pathetically childish! The latest news currently is that Buzzworks have thrown the dummy out the pram and taken South Ayrshire Council to court. Well i wish them all the best because if they continue playing the childish tactics card, they're going to get nowhere."

Edited: 26 April 2011, 14:51
Freckleton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

"Youngscot this spat you mention seems to be getting all very undignified. The silly season has indeed begun!

The Buzzworks places seem quite smart and well run. Are they a good company to work for?"

Purple, Call me logan :)

Yes the silly season has indeed began!

The Buzzwork establishments are very smart and well run but overpriced alot of the time. Im not mentioning names or saying too much but the i know who work there generally don't mind working there. They are paid Minimum wage but they are trained and keep to all the procedures required.

All in all not a bad employer, just childish when it comes to competition.

"I would think that if they go up against JD's they will lose."

I think your right, but let them have there say. They are entitled to it.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

Agreed.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

Thanks for your insight Logan. Well put.

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Wetherspoons (again)

I live in Prestwick and I avoid Elliots at all costs. I think it is overpriced and pretentious. I do frequent the Dome on occasion and the general ambience is pretty good. Food in my opinion is hit or a miss. Last time I ate there was about 4 weeks ago and myself and my friend shared a "tapas" starter which was really just some chicken wings, pate, breaded mushrooms and a couple of other forgettable nibbles. Quite nice, but nothing to write homeabout. Wine is severed in a huge glass ( think goldfish bowl ) and it looks like a tablespoonful.......if you go large you get two tablespoonsful..LOL

With regards to Whetherspoons and Buzzworks, I read somewhere that Colin Blair had bought the old broadway and had applied for a licence for his own "superpub" ineresting to see what happens next. I was on the fence regarding Whetherspoons but I hate what Buzzworks are trying to do and it makes me inclined to support Whetherspoons for no other reason than to see them succeed in spite of Buzzworks....:)