We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Which Prestwick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Hi

This is to everyone who is travelling to Prestwick airport, please don't think that because you got a cheap airline ticket with Ryanair that you don't have to budget for car parking. If you are to 'cheap' to factor this into your holiday costs and pay for airport parking, then either use the hotels offer free parking for the cost of an overnight stay or use the fantastic public transport links we have. The bus & train run from Glasgow every 30mins. From early in the morning to late at night.

This is a small town. The parking for local residents is limited at the best of times. So please think carefully about how you travel to Prestwick airport, and please don't abuse the kind hospitality of the Prestwick people by abandoning your car in their street while you enjoy a holiday in the sun.

Remember you can get 50% of your train journey with a Ryanair boarding card to and from Prestwick! So leave the car at home!

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Post 20 - the bus from Prestwick to Glasgow does make a number of stops. It is called the X77 service that my other half uses for work (he gets on in Ayr). It makes a number of stops in Glasgow City centre before the bus station. It starts around 6 in morning from Ayr till about 11 at night.

Additionally there is no through the night train service from Glasgow to Ayr. The last train is just after midnight. After then there is an early hours of the morning bus service for folk returning from a night out in Glasgow.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

For daytime travel, the train service from Glasgow Centrai to Prestwick Airport is good and reliable. See www.scotrail.co.uk for more details. Others have mentioned the night bus service, so it really does make sense to use public transport if possible. Parking by car in residential streets is not only extremely anti-social, it is also a long walk from the airport! Prestwick Airport railway station has direct access to the terminal building by a covered walkway.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 10:07
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Back in the day when this thread was started I didn't have any wrinkles. Those were the days eh? ;)

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Ha ha Purple C ;-) I just hate when people give info that is incorrect about my locality! ;-)

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

can anyone recommend a cheap hotel walking distance from Prestwick airport ? I found premier inn but it seems quite a bit away ?

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Hi, the North Beach Hotel in Prestwick is the closest the the airport, its a small family run hotel but perfectly adequate, you should be able to get a room for 1 night for around £45.

Its about a 15-20 minute walk but you should be able to get a taxi for £2-£3, the taxi rank is situated just across the road from the terminal building in the car park directly in front of it.

angus
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

How do I get my discount with train travel to the airport. Do I need to buy my ticket at the station?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

If you are boarding at a manned Station then you must be in possession of a valid ticket prior to boarding the train.

If the Station is unmanned then you buy from the Conductor on board.

In either case to qualify for the 50% discount you must present your Airline Boarding Pass or E-Ticket at time of purchase.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

Just to confirm that Prestwick Airport train station is unmanned so you will need to buy your ticket on the train.

30. Re: Travelling to Prestwick Airport - Use Local Bus/Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2017, 17:17