We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doune Castle

Alberta
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Doune Castle

Wow the first to post on this board! Just wondering if anyone has been to Doune Castle and if they have any recommendations. We are thinking of taking the train to Stirling, then a cab to the castle. The buses only run once each way and it brings us back a bit too late. Plus we will have our backpacks. So we are thinking cab.... but any suggestions or ideas are really appreciated! Especially if someone can suggest a place to leave luggage in Stirling!

Thanks

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Doune Castle

I visited Doune Castle on my return to accommodations in Callander after visiting Stirling Castle. To me, it was simply a fairly impressive ruined castle, of which there are hundreds in the UK. I certainly would not have made a special trip by taxi to visit it.

What I found interesting is that I had just visited the Beheading Stone in Stirling, where Murdoch, Duke of Albany was executed, only to discover that this castle had been built by Murdoch's father.

But perhaps your interest is the Monty Python link?

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Doune Castle

I live just down the road from Doune (in Stirling) and can definitely recommend Doune Castle - I even managed to find a small mark where the Monty Python sword hit the wall! Another nice place to visit if you're up for a walk up a steep hill is Castle Campbell in Dollar Glen. It's set in a beautiful glen overlooking the city of Stirling and is well worth the effort climbing up the hill!

Doune itself is a bit out of the way, there is however a semi-regular bus service from Stirling itself, a taxi will cost you quite a at least £15 I would think. The bus station is just a short walk from the railway station for enquiries.

There's plenty of lockers available in Stirling railway station - not sure how much they are but it's a reasonably safe place!

Alberta
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doune Castle

Yes its the Monty Python link. Last fall we got to meet Eric Idol and see the behind the scenes rehearsal of Spamalot (we know the producer). We are big fans and this would just be another MP feather in the hat!

I checked one site and it said there was only one return bus daily from Stirling (depart 10am and returns 5pm). Our problem is that this stop in enroute from Glasgow to Edinburgh and we need to be in Edinburgh by about 6pm. I am not sure if the buses will get us back in Stirling to catch an early enough train.

Is there other bus companies perhaps? The one I visited was City Link

Thank goodness we can leave the luggage, now we have free hands for coconuts!

Piper

Alabama, USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doune Castle

bloostar76 ~ thanks so much for the info on Doune. We are visiting Scotland in May and son is a HUGE Monty Python fan. He's specifically requested that we visit Doune. Could you please tell me where the sword struck the wall in the castle so we can look for it? Thanks!!!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Doune Castle

First Edinburgh route 59 buses, Stirling to Callander, stop at Doune. Hourly service during the day.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doune Castle

AFAIK the lockers at Stirling station mentioned are closed "for security reasons" - they have been for some time, unless they've opened in the last week, which is unlikely.

Alberta
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doune Castle

Oh poop, I have actually been told that about a LOT of stations. Since the bombings especially alot of the Left Luggage stations are not open any more. The website says its allowed though. Maybe I will try e-mailing them. We only have backpacks but it would still be nice to go without them for a while.

Alberta
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doune Castle

Bobelinks

Are you refering to the rail station lockers or the bus station lockers not being available? I just checked the bus station and they say those are still available. I can not find anything on the rail station though.

Piper

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Doune Castle

You could be right about the railway station lockers, they all look tightly shut today when I was in the station, although I'd still email them to make sure! First Bus is definitely the service to get from Stirling to Doune (bus no 59 or 359 - go to www.firstgroup.com for a timetable)

As for the sword marks, they're really faint because they've weathered over the years. They're kind of at the bottom part of the mid-right section of the wall. The wall in question is the left one as you face the main entrance - you'll see if if you start walking around to the rear of the castle. If you have a copy of the Holy Grail DVD, fire in the 2nd disc and watch the locations section with Michael Palin.. they point right to where the swords hit! If you're interested, Doune is on the way to Killin where they came across the mad killer rabbit.

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doune Castle

I can't advise you about bus routs, but we loved Doune Castle -- my DH says it was his favorite of the ones we visited on the trip. If you get a chance, and you're up to it, go up the spiral staircase! Some of the narrowest, crookedest, steepest stairs you'll ever see, but a great view!

Get answers to your questions about Stirling