We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone coverage

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone coverage

Hi, I know that mobile phone coverage in the Outer & Inner Hebrides is patchy at best, but I remember reading somewhere (????? wish I could remember where!) that 1 company - was it Orange? - had more coverage than others. Does anyone know?

I'll be travelling to many of the Outer & Inner Islands in May, early June. Will I do better to stick with my International SIM, or purchase a local one as I usually do in the UK?

Any info would be most welcome. Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone coverage

My guess is that it's Vodaphone. But you can check their coverage maps at each of their sites (eg 3, O2, Orange.)

Whether you use your own SIM or buy another depends largely on what you are going to use it for, and what the relative charges will be. The local SIM will almost certainly be cheaper.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,333 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Vodaphone has certainly vastly improved it's coverage on the Hebrides in the last couple of years :-)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Thanks for replies. I did try to check out coverage maps, but it's a bit tricky as I'm vision-inpaired! Thanks for your help.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Orange has rubbish coverage in the Highlands and Islands. I use O2 and that is excellent on the mainland and inner hebrides. I haven't taken it to the outer Hebrides recently Enough to be able to comment.

Abs :)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Thanks, I thought it began with an 'O'!!! Unfortunately I can't get the necessary info in advance from Australia by email! Might just have to call them!! Thanks again.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Looking at their coverage map, O2 has good coverage of the outer Hebrides as well.

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

:)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Thanks Abs, very useful! :-))

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone coverage

It depends on exactly which islands you plan to visit (check the coverage maps on each network's website). Coverage is generally improving, but there are still a few islands with no coverage on any network (e.g. Canna).

Vodafone is said to be best, on the whole. I use O2 and it's fairly good. Mrs Dhmellor is on Orange and it's fairly useless!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phone coverage

Much thanks. I have now found a link in Oz where I can get an O2 SIM b4 I leave, so am planning on doing so. I'll probably need a different SIM for the Faeroes I expect! It's not that I'll be making many calls, but being old & with my vision, it's "sensible" when travelling alone, to be able to make contact if necessary *grin*!!!

Thanks for your help.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phone coverage

http://bit.ly/hpfysS let's you compare signal strength...

Get answers to your questions about The Hebrides
Recent Conversations