We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hebrides Cruises

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hebrides Cruises

Hello all :)

I am thinking of taking a 6 night cruise in August to the Inner Hebrides with Hebrides Cruises but I'm having trouble finding any reviews online of what the holiday is like. Has anyone been? Any info would be much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend any other small cruise companies doing a similar thing anywhere in the Hebridean area (inner or outer); any of the Scottish Islands for that matter?

For health reasons I have to steer clear (excuse the pun!) of RIB type boats - think fairly sedate, calm and relaxing. I also can't afford Hebridean Princess type prices; my budget would not stretch much beyond £1000 for the whole holiday.

I would be travelling from Edinburgh.

Thanks for reading

Mentioned in this post
The Hebrides
The Hebrides
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,851 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hebrides Cruises

I haven't come across Hebrides Cruises, but I can warmly recommend Northern Light, who are based in Oban.

Mentioned in this post
The Hebrides
The Hebrides
Scotland, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hebrides Cruises

Thanks for that Dhmellor, I found their website today and have been taking a look at what they offer. It's along the right lines, certainly, not sure if I could get a cabin to myself though, which I would need. Will drop them a mail. :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,851 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hebrides Cruises

I think you're right about the single cabin. Northern Light operate very small boats with double cabins for about 12 passengers - they aren't anything like cruise ships. But I can understand why you are avoiding the Hebridean Princess - its prices are eye-watering!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hebrides Cruises

http://www.symoonshadow.co.uk/

have ensuite cabins but not sure if you could get one to yourself with out paying a supplement

North Queensferry...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hebrides Cruises

trip advisor rather annoyingly dont do cruises! Hebrides cruises provides an excellent cruise that is more "adventurous" - the cabins are shared but you might be offered a cabin to yourself on the only remaining cruise availability for this year to Skye on August 6th which still has 6 spaces.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Saaaarf Croydon
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hebrides Cruises

Hi Windswepninterestin,

Did you eventually go on that cruise with Hebrides Cruises last season?

I ask because - as you say - there seems to be a dearth of cruise reports and I am thinking of flogging up from London to Oban for a cruise later this year.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
The Hebrides
The Hebrides
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hebrides Cruises

Hi there,

No I'm afraid my health didn't allow me to go last year, and in retrospect, for me, this might have been a little too lacking in creature comforts to be enjoyable anyway. However, I did find another company who seem to consistently get good reviews; The Majestic Line. Their advertised prices are about double what I could pay last year, but the experience does look a whole lot better, so I'm saving up. Mind they usually book up very early so check their website. Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Saaaarf Croydon
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hebrides Cruises

Many thanks and trust you recovered well or enough.

I bit the bullet and booked up the other day when I noticed that their availability of every berth on every cruise was disappearing at a rate of knots.

Practically no berths left except a few in their final month of cruises; October.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
October
October
661 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hebrides Cruises

I noticed that myself when I checked the other day, they seem to have booked up even faster this year than last! I might take a chance on one of the 3 day cruises if there's any space left now. If I don't make it, would you consider writing a review here of your trip when you go? I'd certainly be interested in your experience of it, as I'm sure many others here would.

Hope you have a great time :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hebrides Cruises

"trip advisor rather annoyingly dont do cruises!"

No, but it does operate CruiseCritic, an excellent site for information on cruises.....