We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

convert a property in to a indian take a way

london
1 post
Save Topic
convert a property in to a indian take a way

Hi

my name is Noman Miah and i wanted to know if any one can help me on this topic.

As there are shortage of commercial properties and letting agents in Islay, i wanted to know if i could buy a property and convert it in to a indian take a way.

please can anyone help on wher can i go to find this information, thank you.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

I'd be surprised if you would get planning permission. There's probably a shortage of houses on the island too, so its not going to be popular reducing the number. Wouldn't it be better to take over an existing take-away shop and convert that to an Indian?

However, You'd be better checking with the local authority. And don't be surprised if existing business or neighbours object to your plans.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

Have you done any market research to see if an Indian takeaway is viable on Islay?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

Apart from a mobile fish and chip van, I don't recall that there are any takeaway food outlets on Islay. As Peterscot says, planning consent could be an issue. But if you can get that, my guess is that in the right location (probably Bowmore) you could do OK with it. With the birdwatchers and the golfers and the whisky lovers, I think Islay has a longer tourist season than some other places. Good luck!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

You might have problems getting someone to do any work to such a property to convert it, or make alterations. Unless you can do the work yourself?

Recently I spoke to someone who lives on Lewis and he said there is always more work there than the tradesmen can cope with. It might be the same on Islay too - it certainly is here and we're in mainland Scotland and 40 miles from Aberdeen. It can take many months to get anything done.

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

There is already an Indian Restaurant in Bowmore (the taj mahal?)

Not great....but reasonably priced.

Bowmore, islay
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

There are two indian restaurants on the island no space for another one but we desperately need a CHINESE restaurant

Edinburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

There are already two indian restaurant on islay. One in bowmore and one in port ellen. They are both very poor. The best indian food on islay is at ballygrant inn, they have curry nights every month. They also do chinese nights. If you want a business opportunity on islay start a chip shop or kebab shop, one is much needed!

Bowmore, islay
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

We already had a chip shop and it didn't work if it did it would still be there...Ballygrant Inn has occasional indian and chinese nights but we want a premanent chinese restaurant OR take away...we are local born and brought up on Islay i think we should know what is needed on islay but typically being told by incomers what we should and shouldn't have!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

Why not open a sushi restaurant.....fresh seafood...loads of whiskies....Japanese tourists....it can't fail !

Edinburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: convert a property in to a indian take a way

ha ha! i am a local!

Get answers to your questions about Islay
More Islay Topics