We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November - bad time to visit?

Key West, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
November - bad time to visit?

Considering a single malt tour but can't go until November. I haven't been able to find a single post from that time frame. I know the weather will be cold and rainy - but intolerably so? Can anyone share their experience?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November - bad time to visit?

lack of daylight would be my main concern, it mat be cold and rainy, it could be cold and bright, but it will be dark a lot of the time!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November - bad time to visit?

I agree with fuschiagirl. The weather is unpredictable, but the daylight hours are not! But as long as you know and accept that, then you could still have a good trip

Edited: 30 June 2010, 07:30
Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November - bad time to visit?

Ok - it was over 10 years ago, but we visited Islay in early November (I seem to recall joining in Bonfire night activities). Obviously it was fairly cool, but not overly so - even for 2 under-prepared Aussies without fancy cold weather gear. There certainly weren't many tourists around. We even went over to Jura for a few days and saw otters playing in the bay outside the hotel (nearly got stuck there though, due to rough weather). Wonderful!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November - bad time to visit?

Islay has a fairly moderate climate all year round, it will probably rain at some point if you go for a week in November, but the same could be said for most weeks of the year! It's a nice time to visit in that there are fewer visitors on the island then and things are generally quieter. The geese arrive from late October onwards and the island does feel quite different in the winter. You shouldn't have too many problems with accommodation in November as it's low season - you may find that you need to phone ahead to arrange distillery tours, but this isn't a huge hassle.

The weather does occasionally affect ferries but the Islay ferry usually gets there (although it may change ports within Islay if the weather is bad).

5. Re: November - bad time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Islay
More Islay Topics