We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

6 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

Four of us are travelling from Edinburgh to Islay without a car. Is it better to go by bus to Kennacraig or take a train to Glasgow and then a bus to Kennacraig? We want to rent a car on Islay instead of paying the ferry price for the car. Also how do I find the schedules to get from the train to a bus to the ferry and then return to Glasgow? Thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

It is best to use the bus for the whole journey.See the Scottish Citylink site for timings.

The change at Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow is very easy and it is quite a scenic run via Inveraray.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

http://www.scotrail.co.uk contains timetables, maps and pricing.

http://www.islaycarhire.com/

London
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

Here's the timetable for the coach to Kennacraig ferry terminal. Although this service starts in Glasgow, the timetable includes connections from Edinburgh.

citylink.co.uk/timetables/Winter12/926.pdf

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

By public transport, I'd probably do the whole thing by coach. But it depends on when you're departing, and from where.

Also, best to book coach tickets in advance - on some days the bus to Kennacraig is full, and reservations / advance purchase virtually essential.

Finally, I'd price the whole thing for four of you by public transport + car hire on Islay; and then compare it with car hire from Edinburgh + car on ferry fare. Maybe the difference will be significant enough to warrant doing it the way round you propose. But I'm not sure.

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I will look up all the times for connections and the prices to see what is best. I also thought of overnighting in Glasgow or Kennacraig to get an earlier ferry.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

You can't spend the night at Kennacraig as there's nothing there, only the ferry terminal. The nearest places to stay are about five miles away in Tarbert. If you are catching the 07.00 ferry from Kennacraig a local taxi will take you there from Tarbert.

With four of you travelling together, it's worth checking the cost of doing the entire trip by hire car - it may not work out much more expensive.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

If you're in a hurry, don't forget that there are flights between Glasgow and Islay operated by Loganair (as a partner of Flybe). Otherwise, the coach service from Glasgow Buchanan bus station is the best option.

8. Re: Transportation from Edinburgh to Islay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 05:15