We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigh na bruaich

Stoney Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tigh na bruaich

How would one travel from either Oban or Tigh na Bruaich to the Isle of Islay? Alternatively, what about travelling from Ayr to the Isle of Islay?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigh na bruaich

The Islay ferry goes from Kennacraig near Tarbert which is a straight drive south from Oban.

From Tighnabruaich you would drive to Portavadie and take another ferry to Tarbert.

From Ayr you can take the Ardrossan/Brodick ferry to Arran then another ferry Lochranza/Claonaig which is just south of Tarbert.

Full details in the Calmac website.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 20:06
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigh na bruaich

There is a weekly ferry from Oban to Islay on Wednesdays (see Calmac-site for times).

You can also fly with Hebridian Air (http://www.hebrideanair.co.uk) on Tuesdays and Thursdays (2 flights on each of these days).

There is also daily flights from Glasgow Airport (www.flybe.com) and a bus (www.citylink.co.uk) from Buchanan Street Station in Glasgow.

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
699 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigh na bruaich

Ferry also leaves Oban on a Saturday to islay

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigh na bruaich

Trueblues: I've heard that this was planned for this summer, but I can't find this sailing on the Calmac-schedule.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 06:55
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigh na bruaich

There's no Saturday ferry from Oban to Islay - it's Wednesdays only. But from Tigh na Bruaich you wouldn't want to go via Oban anyway - you'd take no 1's route (Portavadie - Tarbert - Kennacraig - Islay)

From Ayr, as well as no 1's route, you could also take the new Calmac ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown, though it only runs around the weekend.

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
699 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigh na bruaich

Apologies my Saturday am ferry to Islay was changed to port askaig instead of port Ellen I was aware that this ferry carries onto colonsay whist talking to someone before boarding they mentioned it was carrying on to Oban I should have checked this up as whisky traveller states there were rumours that Saturday ferry were going to Oban maybe next year

7. Re: Tigh na bruaich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Islay
Recent Conversations
More Islay Topics