We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best of Islay in a weekend.

airdrie
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
best of Islay in a weekend.

Hi, going to Islay for september weeknd with son and partner and wanting to get the best of the weekend.

Looking for info on best beaches which are easily accessible, best places to eat and obviously cheapest too lol.

best distillery tours, best bars where kids are allowed in. my son is 13.

also are there any boat trips from Islay to corryvreckan. and one more..fishing. any good spots on shore to do some sea fishing for eg mackerel pollack cod etc..

we are going by car and are based just outside port ellen at lagavullin bay if that helps.

thanks in advance

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

Nice beaches near where you are staying include Kilnaughton Bay (just west of Port Ellen) and in the other direction, Claggain Bay, past Ardbeg and near the end of the road to Ardtalla.

I can't recommend anywhere to eat in Port Ellen, but the best restaurants on Islay are generally reckoned to be the Harbour Inn in Bowmore, and the Port Charlotte Hotel. Neither of these is cheap, although the bar meals at the Port Charlotte Hotel are more reasonably priced, and the Lochindaal (also in Port Charlotte) is also a good place for a meal and a drink. Have a look at the reviews here on TA.

The only boat trips to the Corryvreckan that I am aware of go from places on the mainland, such as Craobh Haven and Crinan - there's nothing from Islay.

Have a great trip!

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

Islay sea safari will do trips to the corryvrekkan whirlpool,there is one pub in port Ellen ,the ardview and the white hart hotel and Islay hotel the 2 hotels do meals,if you like Indian food there is a Indian restaraunt in port Ellen called the maharani,ignore the decor the food is tremendous see reviews on this site.I can vouch for this.there are other places that do meals but as you are staying in lagavulin you will be approx 14/15 mile from the nearest.ardbeg distillery which is just up the road from you does excellent lunches,last orders I think are 3.30pm why don't you combine a distillery tour with a lunch.beaches most are easily accesable there was a question on here approx2 weeks ago re beaches have a read of the replys

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

Islay Sea Safari will be operating the Jura Passenger Ferry until the end of September, so it's unlikely Nicol will be able to take you up to the Corryvreckan. And you would need to get a party together to make it financially viable.

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

the t/phone no for Islay sea safari is 0149630840510 make an enquiry,I know a local distillery has just used 3ribs for a 1 day employee bonding trip to ireland so there appears to more than one boat if you fancy traveling for an evening meal bowmore hotel is recommended as its a weekend and I presume the holiday weekend it would be advisable to prebookthere is also the lochside in bowmore

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

Shore fishing try and contact port Ellen angling club they will assist you

airdrie
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

Hi , thanks a million for the information you all supplied. looks like i will be having a good time, thanks again.

7. Re: best of Islay in a weekend.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24