We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location for One Day Trip

Winnipeg, Mb
Level Contributor
44 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Best Location for One Day Trip

We will be arriving on the late ferry from Kennacraig to Port Ellen. Arrival is 2010. The next day we depart from Port Askaig at 1530. The Glenegedale and Glenmachrie B&B are both available. Our plan is to see distilleries and the best scenic spots. Which B&B would you choose? Would we be able to have a late dinner on our arrival as we may not have time before we catch the ferry at 1800. Our travel will be in mid-September. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Port Ellen
Port Ellen
Islay, UK
Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
748 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

Both Glenmachrie and Glenegadale have excellent reports here on T A,both are situated not far from each other,so it will be a personal choice .You have not said if you are arriving by car or not.If you are arriving by car you should be able to obtain a evening meal .As you are arriving in Port Ellen you could try the Islay Hotel,failing that you would have to travel into Bowmore which is approx 8 km further on .This has a number of hotels were you obtain a meal,have a look at www.islayinfo.com/islay_ restaraunts.

As you will have to be at Port Askaig no later than 3.00 pm you do not have enough time to see much of Islay,scenic spots are to far out of the way of your distilleries, unless you decide on just visiting Bowmore and then Bunnahabain and Caol ila,the later two being near each other and not far from Port Askaig.Enroute to the latter two distilleries you could visit Finlaggan which was the seat of the Lord Of the Isles in bygong days

One thing I must mention is you have not mentioned when you intend to come,if it is during autumn or winter please factor in that in bad weather there is every possibility that the ferry may not run.

Mentioned in this post
Port Ellen
Port Ellen
Islay, UK
Bowmore
Bowmore
Islay, UK
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
Finlaggan
Finlaggan
233 Reviews
Islay, UK
Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
748 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

Sorry just realised you said mid September,still bear in mind bad weather could cause cancellation of ferry in case you have onward travel.also 8 km further on is from either of the bed/breakfast locations you have mentioned which is approx 8km from Port Ellen

Edited: 07 August 2014, 01:07
Mentioned in this post
Port Ellen
Port Ellen
Islay, UK
Winnipeg, Mb
Level Contributor
44 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

We are driving by car from Skye to catch the ferry at Kennacraig so that will be a full day. I have 4 days to get from Skye and back to Edinburgh. Because I will be travelling with 2 who are interested in whisky, I thought it would be worthwhile to spend a day on Islay. Perhaps this is too ambitious! I am debating whether the cost of the ferry and accommodation on Islay would be worth it, considering that we would have so little time on the island. We will have spent 2 days in the Speyside area so they might have to be satisfied with that. Something to think about before I make any reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

1 day is way to short a time on Islay for a whisky lover.

I would recommend leaving Skye via the Mallaig ferry and heading for the Ardnamurchan Distillery (Brand new. Opened just a few days ago - owned by the indepedent bottler Adelphi).

From there it's a short drive to Kilchoan and a ferry to Tobermory on Isle of Mull (which also has a distillery, Tobermory). From Tobermory you can explore Mull and Ioan if you wish before heading to the mainland and Oban (distillery there as well) via ferry from Craignure.

Mentioned in this post
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
748 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

I honestly think that the right decision would be to extend your visit for at least two full days just to do it justice.Then there would be no rushing from distillery to distillery to places of interest. However it appears that you do not have enough days left in your itinerary.Enjoy your visit the Speyside and Skye and one day you may visit the wonderful island of Islay,it is not known ad Queen of the Hebrides for nothing

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
The Hebrides
The Hebrides
Scotland, UK
Winnipeg, Mb
Level Contributor
44 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

I liked WhiskyTraveller's itinerary but when I researched it thoroughly, I realized that since I could only spend one night on Mull I would not have enough time to see and do much. And the ferry would cost 139 pounds for the car and 3 passengers. I'll have to save the isles for another trip. Instead I have decided to take the ferry from Skye to Mallaig and drive to Fort William and Oban. This will be a more relaxing route without having to worry about ferry departure times to and from Mull. Now I need to research the Fort William/Oban area for things to do and a place to stay. Thank you so much Trueblue9 and Whisky Traveller for your guidance.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
7. Re: Best Location for One Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Islay
More Islay Topics