We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

My wife and I are coming to Lewis by car for 4 or 5 days (June 20th -25th) and would like to know where the best areas for wildlife photography would be particularly otters and birds we also enjoy walks of up to 5 miles, has anyone got any suggestions ?

Level Contributor
3,399 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

Slightly odd one, but keep an eye out from the ferry. Last time I was in the Outer Hebrides I saw bottle nosed dolphins and a basking shark from various ferries

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

The Butt of Lewis is the obvious spot for sea birds - gannets, fulmars, kittiwakes and many others. Also maybe passing whales, dolphins, porpoises if you're lucky.

Otters could be almost anywhere sheltered - try the south-east, around Lemreway. And while you're there, if you can get a boat trip to the Shiant Isles, you should see puffins there.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

Have a look at this website which has a lot of useful information.

http://www.western-isles-wildlife.co.uk/

We've seen otters in the Uists but haven't seen them in Lewis or Harris - Steve Duffield is based in the Uists but it might be worth emailing him to ask about tours from Stornoway.

We've usually seen eagles on Great Bernera - it is very much luck of the draw and a case of being in the right place at the right time (and looking in the right direction.)

There is also some information here:

welcometoscotland.com/regions/western-isles/…

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

Otters are elusive and the chances of seeing them depend very much on the state of the tide. One option is to try to contact a local wildlife guide for information. A google search should turn up trumps.

5. Re: Wildlife photography opportunities on the isle of Lewis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:17