We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Lewis and Harris

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Lewis and Harris

I will be spending 2 nights on the island and would like to see as much as possible. We will arrive and leave by car via Stornaway and are booked into a hotel in Uig isle of Lewis. Any suggestions for this trip would be very welcome.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

Uig has stunning beaches. Would advise a trip round west side of Island, taking in Callanish Stones, Gearrnan Black House village, The Carloway Broch. Harris is most stunning of both Islands..Would advise a whole day trip for this, Stop for lunch in Tarbert and drive down the South Coast to Rodel, where you can vist St Clements Church

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

Thank you. That is just the info I need.

Scotland
Level Contributor
245 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

Plenty of places to stop off as well for tea/coffee - lots of nice cafes and craft shops to visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

(If I'm not too late with this . . . ) Traigh Mhor and the Bridge to Nowhere near Tolsta are definitely must sees and are a relatively short distance from Stornoway. I agree with heblady that you should spend a day driving up and down Harris. Don't forget to make time to walk along Luskentyre beach!

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

Not too late and much appreciated

Isle of Harris...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

On the main road just outside Shawbost look for the signs for The Norse Mill. It's well worth the short walk from the little car park to see these 2 amazing little reconstructed buildings.

Also, the road to Huisinish is well worth the drive. Just be careful of the bends, hidden dips and hairpins - breathtaking, is the word that springs to mind. I love the beach at Huisinish and the road takes you right through the grounds of a castle.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
7 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

Drive to Port of Ness at the very top of the island. Walk around the headland to the lighthouse and return to Port. great views. Have a coffee in Cafe Solas, and visit the artist workshop of Anthony Barbour. Best half day you will find.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

I've just returned from a week on North Uist and we caught the ferry from Bernaray to Leverburgh and cycled a 35-40 mile loop round southern Harris. Drive down the road to Leverburgh down the west coast and there are stunning views with fabulous beaches at Scarista and Seilibost. The Hebrides Art cafe at Seilibost is a 5 star visior attraction and they do great soups for lunch. From Leverburgh head along the coast to Rodel and then take the twisty road up the east coast through lots of small bays and villages to Geocrab and then head up the hairpin road back to the main road back to Lewis. You will get the best of sea, beach, villages and mountains

9. Re: Isle of Lewis and Harris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 23:15