We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

Highlands
1 post
Save Topic
three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

Hi there,

I just up and set up a trip to Oban and have chosen what I hope will be a fantastic B&B within a five minute walk to town. I'll be driving from the East coast of Scotalnd and will just take the ferry (or boat) to the island(s). Apart from reading as many msg board posts as I can before I leave tomorrow (July 6th), I wondered if anyone would please take the time to suggest a few things for me to do. My heart is for adventure and experiencing God's creation and so I'd like to have my central place at my B&B and every morning wake up early and head off to Mull, maybe find a mountain to hike up (perhaps you can recommend one or two?), eat lunch from my backpack, and then find a coastline or rock formation to explore for hours...and then head back across to Oban to have a late dinner, sleep, and wake up and do it all over again.

People are recommending Fingals Cave in Staffa, Iona (I guess to see the Abbey), and to see the puffins, wherever they are. I'd love to see some whales as well. I've thought about renting a bicycle too when I am there. I wonder if I can meet someone who can take me fishing. I'll buy snacks and sandwiches and so forth before I leave, and remember bug spray! My trip is open ended and so I can take longer than 3 days if need be. I also thought about driving up to Skye for the latter half of the week and doing the same thing. I'll be going alone, it's just me and God on this adventure. I've never done anything like this before. I should come back stronger and better :)

Thank you for your time.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

There are day trips to Mull, Iona and Staffa advertised in Oban - take your pick when you get there. This link may be useful: http://www.turusmara.com

Have a great trip.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

I assume from your post that you have little or no hillwalking experience? If that is the case then the big mountains are best avoided.

If you want to walk there is a lovely peninsula on Mull about 4km south of Craignure, look at the area from Lochdon to Grasspoint and also around Duart Castle and Torosay Castle.

To get to Iona you have travel all the way across Mull to the far southwest to Fionnphort to get the ferry.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

First question - if you want to spend all your time on Mull, why are you staying in Oban and not on the island? It would make more sense to base yourself on Mull. Buses on the island are very few and far between, and it will cost you a fortune to take your car over every day.

You could do one of these tours: http://www.bowmanstours.co.uk/ but I get the impression from your post you want a bit of freedom to explore, which you will only really get by having a car on the island.

If you do end up going on to Skye and fancy driving on extremely twisty, narrow single track roads in some of the remotest parts of Scotland, at the end of your Mull trip leave the island on the ferry from Tobermory to Kilchoan and drive on up to Mallaig. An unforgettable journey.

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

If you want to go to Staffa I'd suggest you take a boat trip from Ffionport rather than Turus Mara from Ulva ferry. We tried the Turus Nara boat and I have never been so scared in all my life (and I don't scare easily) - the sea was extremely choppy and they really shouldn't have set out in the first place - everyone on board was sick and I was just so grateful when they finally decided to turn back. We never did get to Staffa and my youngest son never got to see Iona as he was so scared he wouldn't set foot on another small boat - he was 11 or 12 at the time. On the positive side they did transport us to Ffionport by minibus and we got our money back but it wasn't an experience I'd wish on anyone.

Mull and Iona are great islands and its well worth spending some time there. The other place near Oban that is good for a day trip is Kerrera - the island in the bay - the ferry goes from a mile or so outside Oban

5. Re: three days in oban - want to see mull, iona, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull