We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

In September we'll be visiting the Isle of Mull and Iona.

I was wondering how long is the ferry trip? And would anyone be able to tell me what the weather will be like then as I am a very nervous sailor in rough weather.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

20/25 minutes from Oban to Mull. 15/20 minutes from Mull to Iona. Of course you need to travel across Mull to the ferry.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

Sorry. it's about 45 minutes from Oban to Mull.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

I visited Mull (and Iona and Staffa) close to ten years ago in September. In fact I was there on 9/11. The weather was changeable which is what you should expect. The trip to Mull is not long and on a big ferry. I took a tour that included a trip to Staffa and Iona and this was on 9/11 and was a stunningly beautiful day. It's longer trip out to Staffa, but it's very quick over to Iona from Mull. All of these places are wonderful to visit and I encourage you to take the trip. (BTW I am very susceptible to sea sickness and had no problems on my trip.

Pam

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

Thank you for your information and encouragement.

We will be staying overnight in Oban and our the plan is to go on an organised day trip from Mull to Iona.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

It's a v.sheltered crossing from Oban to Mull and from Mull to Iona - you are never in open sea at any point. there may be a little swell but that's about it. Even for nervous sailors it's fine.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

I agree with the other posts - the sailing from Oban to Mull is very sheltered and the ship (the MV Isle of Mull) is large, stable and comfortable. The ferry from Mull to Iona is smaller, but the crossing is very short and the vessel is purpose-built for this route. Caledonian MacBrayne (and its antecedents) have been operating for well over 100 years; you should have very few problems in September - in fact you should have a very enjoyable trip.

The MV Isle of Mull: calmac.co.uk/Onboard%20Services/mv_isle_of_m…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

Take a bag of crystallised ginger to chew when you are on the boat. It is supposed to be good for sea sickness.

8. Re: Ferry trip to Isle of Iona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull