We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mull with a wee bairn?

Burnley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
51 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Mull with a wee bairn?

My husband and I have spent the last couple of years starting to discover the West Coast. This summer however we will have an 8 month old baby. My husband thinks it would be a better idea not to be anywhere too remote and with places to visit within a reasonable driving distance (e.g. 30 mins) from wherever we base ourselves.

We have already been to Skye and I thought possibly Mull may be a good destination possibly being a bit more compact, and a shorter distance from where we live (Lancashire). We love walking although realise that having a baby will curb this somewhat, love scenery, good restaurants, sandy beaches etc.

Any advice on whether Mull would be a good option or does anyone have any other recommendations? We will most likely get a self-catering cottage.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Also consider Arran

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Mull would be fabulous ... but you might want to stay in the north, maybe around Dervaig or Tobermory since you say you don't want to be 'too remote'.

Distances in Mull can be deceptive. The trip to the Ross of Mull, and to Iona is fantastic, but allow a plenty time for it - you don't make fast progress on a lot of the roads. But don't let that put you off.

And here's a tip for a couple of amazing restaurants where the wee one will be very welcome:

http://www.ambirlinn.com/.

http://www.thecafefish.com/

There are lots of others of course, but these two will make the trip worth it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Nothing against Mull, but I agree Arran may be better.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Mull will be fine. Get one of those backpacks for the baby to ride in, and you'll have a great time.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

You'll find that an 8 month-old baby will be surprisingly portable, and a lot more robust than you think. If you get a medical emergency in an area like the Highlands, medical assistance can often be just as quick or quicker than in an urban area, due to the availability of air ambulances. For walking, junior will be very happy in a backpack and there are some great beaches on Mull for you all to explore. It's when kids get to the independent toddler stage that you have to plan a bit more carefully if they are not good travellers, but if you don't make a fuss, the kids usually won't either.

Burnley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
51 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

I guess we are novices (our 1st baby) so not 100% sure what to expect holidaying with a baby. I was thinking whilst it is young, it won't be as different, but my husband is trying to be more practical.

I would still like to do some exploring and just love what we have seen so far of the West Coast.

Thanks for recommendations though. I imagine we would stop in or near Tobermoray. Any nice beaches we could go to??

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Will this do: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/269702

Calgary Beach (about 20 miles west of Tobermory) - perhaps the finest beach on Mull.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Don't worry, we've all worn our L plates at some stage! Congrats on the new baby and believe me, it all gets a lot easier after the first few months. By 8 months you'll be a pro and able to handle anything. If you do get to Mull I would strongly recommend you find time to cross the island to take the ferry to Iona - it's magical.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

I remember going on a walking holiday in the Austrian Alps when our three children were nine, five and six months old. Yes, we were probably crazy! But the youngest was the least trouble - he just sat in the back pack and enjoyed the view.

I was pretty fit by the end of that holiday - as you (or your husband) will be after you've carried junior up Ben More!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mull with a wee bairn?

Dhmellor is right - eight months is easy. When our first was that age we toured Ireland in a VW Camper.

Restaurants were a lot easier that year than a year later (Spain and France), when she was 19 months, and decided that the service in some restaurants was not quite quick enough ... and she was probably right! But the self-catering (or in our case camper van) option keeps your sanity, and means that that you can eat in as often (or infrequently) as you choose, without navigating restaurant logistics.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull