We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel times

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
travel times

Driving at tourist speed, can anyone advise on an expected time to complete the following route (excluding stops).

Craignure (a849)to uluvalt

(b8035) to gruline

(b8073) to tobermory

(a848) to salen

(a849) to craignure

Thanks!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel times

Personally I would not even contemplate going to Mull, with its single track roads and incredible scenery, with any sort of strict timetable or driving times, and I do not know of any reasonable definition of "tourist speed".

Having said that, I'll have a bash! It's difficult, because "uluvalt" doesn't appear on any of my maps. I presume it is the junction of the A849 and B8035. 17 miles on largely single track road say 40 minutes. On to Gruline, again single track, less traffic but fewer passing places, 17 miles again, say another 40 minutes.

B8073 to Tobermory, again single track - 30 miles, say 75 minutes. Tobermory to Salen, some single track, 10 miles, say 20 minutes.

Salen to Craignure, 11 miles, double track, say 15-20 minutes

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel times

Its impossible to work out, especially if there is oncoming traffic on single-track roads. When you are on a place like Mull, timing goes out the window. If you pull over to let someone pass, you can look out th ewindow and see a Sea Eagle. Will you watch it for 10 minutes or will you get back on your schedule?

Try www.theaa.com or viamichelin.com

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel times

Craignure to Salen is the walk we did, see my post on your next thread.

Lydbrook,United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel times

uluvalt is actually the junction nr Pennyghael.

We found that driving on Mull tended to be at around 25-30 mph.

I'm assuming that because you start and finish at Craignure you are doing Mull as a day trip by ferry from Oban. If I were you I'd do the trip in reverse to the way you have it. Then by the time you get to Gruline you should be able judge whether you have enough time to make it back to Craignure via Uluvalt or cut short back through Salen.

Either way it will make a good day out.

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel times

Brother Wolf...sounds a good idea to take that route.

Im off to spend a few days on Islay in September and was thinking of trying to fit Mull in as a day trip the previous day, then staying overnight in Oban.

Would have really liked to have spent the night in Tobermory but hotel accomodation is proving difficult.

Thanks!

6. Re: travel times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull