We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

Surfers Paradise...
5 posts
Save Topic
From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

Hi again folks,

I apologise in advance for the lengthy question or typos...I'm factoring in a visit to the Isle of Mull into our Scotland itinerary. As we will be staying at Ballachulish the night, I have two options to hopefully arrive at Fionnphort Ferry for 10am the next day (as the plan is Iona and Staffa). Both routes have very similar in travel times (we have a car), but the difference is Oban requires booking and is heftier on price, whereas (from my understanding of what I viewed on the internet) the Corran/Ardgour and Lochaline/Fishnish crossings cannot be booked (but are frequent) and cost less than Oban. My question is, given that we wish to be in Fionnphort for a 10am sail to Staffa, would it be more advisable to take the "booked in" version of Oban or wing it with the Corran/Fishnish? Has anyone had recent experience in crossing the Corran/Fishnish route in Summer, will we possibly be waiting longer than if we take the safe "Oban" option? FYI After Iona/Staffa day trip, we plan to stay in Tobermory. Any help you could provide would be appreciated, and by all means, if I'm missing something, please feel free to enlighten me :-) ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Surfers Paradise...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

I should have mentioned - it will be a Thursday early August (7th)

Tobermory, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

In order to make Fionnphort for 10am you would ahve to take the 07.45 sailing from Oban. With the 30 mins before departure requirement that means being at Oban for 07.15 latest.. You should allow for some hold ups so plan to be at Oban by 07.00.

Alternatively you have several ferries that will get you on Mull in time for your Staffa sailing and should not mean such an early start.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

If you're in Ballachulish, I would take the Lochaline/Fishnish option. It's not just cheaper; it's much quicker - you don't have to check in half an hour before sailing, and it's a much shorter crossing. The drive from Ardgour down to Lochaline is spectacular, too.

Assuming you will be coming back via Oban, you get the best of both worlds. Make sure you buy a Hopscotch ticket number 6 which gives you a saving on doing both routes: calmac.co.uk/tickets/island-hopping/hopscotc…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

If you catch the 07.45 ferry from Lochaline you should get to Fionnphort in plenty of time.

Surfers Paradise...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

Thankyou to both of you, and especially DDootsie, local knowledge is such a valuable thing! And thanks for the heads up with the hopscotch option. SO looking forward to Scotland!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

One more thing - if you are driving to Lochaline, and onwards to Fionnphort, you will be doing a lot of driving on single track roads. A couple of sites that give good information on how to approach this:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/…

scotlandinfo.eu/driving-single-track-roads-s…

The two golden rules are 1) keep left 2) use your rear view mirror frequently and use passing places to allow closely following traffic to overtake

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

Rule No.3 - don't drive off the road because you are so busy admiring the wonderful scenery ;-)

8. Re: From Ballachulish - Ferry routes to Isle of Mull?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull