We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children on Mull

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Children on Mull

We are considering a holiday on Mull next year. My children will then be 5 and nearly 8. Obviously a trip to Tobermory would be on the cards, but was wondering whether there would be enough on the island to keep them entertained for a week, or whether we should consider staying a bit further away and coming over on the ferry just for one day?

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,958 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children on Mull

I understand that there are fabulous beaches on Mull - in my experience thats all you really need with chilcren that age, plus maybe the odd Kite, fishing net, bucket and spade and picnic.

I've heard great things about Mull, and am still waiting to try it out myself, but I think you'll have a wonderful time!

Have a wee peek:

http://www.tobermory.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children on Mull

Hi

I'm with purpleceltic here - if your kids like an outdoor holiday there should be plenty there - even beyond the Balamory trail.

My one visit there was marred by bad weather - but I liked what I saw and hope to return.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children on Mull

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like we would enjoy Mull, recent holidays include the Lake District and Pembrokeshire. I think we'll go for it and pray for not too much rain! Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children on Mull

If I may add a suggestion: while you are there, you might take the short ferry crossing, from Tobermory to Ardnamurchan peninsula. Sanna Bay has a fantastic beach.

http://www.ardnamurchan.com/ Click on "Information", then on "Photo tour"

I have liked very much going to Wings Over Mull, a conservation centre for harmed birds of prey. See http://www.wingsovermull.com/

Mentioned in this post
Sanna Bay
Sanna Bay
64 Reviews
Ardnamurchan Peninsula, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children on Mull

Thank you, I will look into those visits.

ete
scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children on Mull

Hi

I'm sure you will love Mull. I visited several times with my children when they were small, and still haven't seen it all!!

There's plenty to see and do........it's actually quite a large Island. Calgary beach is lovely, small bay, unspoiled with lovely sand, take a picnic.

There's a lovely park with huge waterfall just across the bay from Tobermory main street, any local or tourist info will direct you.

Torosay castle is worth a visit, it also has an adventure play park and a trip on the little steam train is sure to be a winner with the children, it's just at the ferry port from Oban. Check out www.mullrail.co.uk

You can take a boat trip if you feel like a bit of adventure to see the puffins and visit Fingals cave and Staffa Island.

Iona is also a beautiful small and historical island it's about 15-20 minutes by ferry from Mull...........has lovely beaches too......take another picnic (however the ferry port for Iona is about an hour's drive from Tobermory).

If you like crafts, there are plenty little shops and workshops to visit.

Best of all is the fabulous unspoiled scenery.

Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
7. Re: Children on Mull

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 17:25
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull