We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

Fife
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

We are travelling to the Hebrides for a holiday in the summer with our 4 year old. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to entertain a 4 year old on Skye for 4 or 5 days? There look like some lovely beaches. We will have a car so travelling is no problem.

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

Hi there!

The coral beach at Dunvegan would be a great beach for your 4 yr old and you could take a seal trip while you're in the Dunvegan area too - I'm sure they'd love that!

Another gorgeous beach (tiny and very secret!!), down at the Point of Sleat - take a picnic (remember to take rubbish back with you - no bins etc. since it's literally at the end of nowhere!!) and enjoy a wonderful afternoon on your own private beach (if you're lucky - I think a few more people are discovering it these days!). I could imagine there may be some carrying of little legs for this beach though - it's a more arduous walk than the Coral Beach, but there should be far fewer people there and it is of course a lot smaller!! It's one of those beaches (like the Coral beach), that if it's sunny and warm you could easily imagine you were on a Caribbean beach - pure white sand and sky blue water!!

The Toy Museum at Glendale

The Serpentarium at Broadford - they have handling sessions too!

Glass Bottom Boat Trip (Seaprobe Atlantis) from Kyle of Lochalsh.

Calums Seal Trips from Plockton Harbour - these are particularly great for kids - I would probably say the best seal trip for kids (and adults actually!) in the area!

The Sligachan Hotel has an outdoor play area with swings etc. - they do bar meals and are right at the central road junction on Skye, where the main roads all join from 3 directions - Portree, Dunvegan and Broadford - so you'll probably drive by it numerous times while on Skye!!

The Aros Centre has a soft play area just off the restaurant, for which there is a small charge - coloured balls & tunnels - what more can you ask for!!

Look for a B&B/Guest House or Hotel that provides stuff to help entertain in the evenings or on a rainy day -- games/books & videos perhaps!

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will mention anything I've not thought of/remembered!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

Hi

Yorkielass has some ace ideas. A few other options:

I spent many happy childhood days building dams in streams - of which there are many on Skye. head up staffin and the Staffin river by the road has lots of lovely pools.

There are several opertunities to go out on a boat, whether it is hiring one from portree or taking a trip to loch coruisk, seeing the seals etc.

By the way, there is a toy shop in portree, should you need one!

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

Thanks Fifporter!!

Ooh, and I forgot to mention the Brightwater Centre in Kyleakin - how could I forget that - shame on me!! Hands on information centre - sand pits with model crabs in them etc., with guided walks going out to Eilean Ban, which is the island the Skye Bridge crosses to get to Skye - it's where Gavin Maxwell spent some time while writing his Trilogy (Ring of Brightwater) and there are several otter hides where you can hope to maybe catch sight of these cute little critters playing or fishing!

I think thst's all - until I remember something else!

Isle of Skye
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

My 4 year old niece fell in love with the serpentarium here in broadford. They have a great gift shop with lots of gooey toys to buy too. Kylerhea has an otter hide, where you can have a wee walk and look for otters (or more likely seals). Around broadford bay and ashaig is great when the tide is low. lots of fun on the beach!

Fife
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

Thanks to everyone who responded to my enquiry. We have now more than enough to entertain and enjoy !!!

6. Re: Fun Activities to do with a 4 year old on Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 00:19