We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long weekend break

paisley
Level Contributor
364 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
long weekend break

the girlfriend and myself are looking at heading upto skye at the end of november for a break but we cant decide where to go,broadford or portree.we want to drive about seeing the sights etc but at nights we want sit back have a nice meal and a few drinks in the local pubs.which place is the better and busier at weekends.dont want it to quiet

cheers

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
557 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long weekend break

Hi there,

from a touring point of view it will make very little difference where you decide to stay, but if it's pubs etc. that you're after, then because of the time of year I would maybe assume Portree might be your better choice!

Knowing Broadford a whole lot better than Portree, I'm sure your options for restaurants/bars in November are the following:

Broadfrod Hotel (Gabbro Bar)

Hebridean Hotel

Dunollie Hotel

all of the above have public bars & provide evening meals

The Claymore Restaurant is the only standalone Restaurant/pub in Broadford which remains open during the winter period.

Both Creelers & The Harbour Restaurant close during the winter period.

The Beinn na Caillich Restaurant (previously the Fig Tree) seems to be still open at the moment, so they may stay open during the winter too - under previous ownership it did close, which is why I'm not too sure!

In Portree, some businesses will also close and some will reduce their opening times (eg. The Lower Deck Seafood restaurant has an advert in the West Highland Free Press today, saying that they are closed Mondays & Tuesdays), but there is probably going to be slightly more opportunities to find night life over all!

I'm sure someone else with more personal knowledge of Portree, will be able to update you on what's open etc.

Hope this helps and do enjoy your visit wherever you end up!

Mentioned in this post
Dunollie Hotel
Dunollie Hotel
680 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
The Claymore Restaurant
The Claymore Restaurant
580 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
The Lower Deck
The Lower Deck
620 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Broadford
Broadford
Isle of Skye, UK
2. Re: long weekend break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:18