We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

hello everyone!

realy want to visit isle of Skye on my trip to Scotland.my first question is-is one day enough?

We are going to stay in Drumnadrochit,Loch Ness and will drive from there.

another thing is-my partner has a following plan-after last night in Loch ness check out realy early in the morning and drive to the isle of skye,spend a day there and then head for our next destination wich is Glencoe.(i havent booked accomodation yet but i think it's going to be Fort William.)Now to me it sounds like we gonna spend all day driving without much time to stop anywhere,besides because we are checking in to a new place we cannot arrive to late,so we'll have to rush to make sure we are on time.what are your thoughts on that?is my partners plan too abbitious?

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

I would at least try to spend the night on Skye. The drive to the island isn't bad from Drum, but once there you surely want to do more than just drive. We always regretted not spending more time there. We got so wrapped up in spending time in the Sleat peninsula we never even got to go farther north than Broadford. Too much to see and do. But on the other hand, we now know what we want to see more of and it will help us form a better itinerary next time.

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

One day is definitely not enough...you really should stay the night...more would be even better, but it appears you're rather pressed for time. Plus, you don't want to rush your trip to Glencoe...it's such gorgeous country. Better to spend the night on Skye, get an early start in the morning, pace yourself and enjoy the scenery. There's a lot of country to cover. I'm sure you'll want to stop a bit, stretch your legs, breathe in the fresh highand air, take photos.. Scotland has to be savored like a fine wine. Don't rush through it! I know I'm getting a bit melodramatic...its been nearly a year since my last visit and I'm suffering from severe withdrawal. As far as fearing you may arrive late at your next destination, advise them of a late arrival. If you secured your reservation with a credit cart, it shouldn't be a problem. Let us know what you decide...enjoy your trip!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

Hi

One day on Skye is better than never going at all, but four days would be better. However, if you only have one day, you could definitely get there from Drumnadrochit and just spend your time on Skye driving around the main roads from the Skye Bridge up through Portree to the northern tip, then down the west coast and back down to the Skye Bridge. Lots of driving but you would get a flavour of the island.

If you wanted details of a great vegetarian b&b, I could recommend Foxwood near Struan (see my tripadvisor review!).

Sounds like you will be driving down towards Glencoe after you have "done Skye". I must say I admire your stamina. I would recommend you head towards Fort William and then drive south for about 10 miles to Onich and then book into a really good vegetarian b&b called Cuildorag House (check reviews). We have stayed there twice - location is beautiful and breakfasts and evening meals are absolutely delicious. The next day you can drive through Glencoe which is also very awe inspiring and beautiful even if you get bad weather. Nice visitors centre there where you could eat a picnic or buy lunch.

After Glencoe you could head towards Edinburgh or Glasgow or whatever you are planning next.

Hope you have good weather and enjoy your brief time in the Highlands.

scotland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

I was brought up in Skye and would say to take longer than one day - especially if the weather is good! Try going to the north east of Skye - the Old Man of Storr, the Quiraing and Duntulm Castle. If you go to Elgol (on the South of the Island) you will get fantastic views of the Cullin Hills. There's a walk you can do to a lighthouse called Neist Point which is nice. Emjoy!

Glendale, Isle of...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

One day is nowhere near enough.

I'd skip Drumnadrochit (it's a really dreadful place) and head directly to Skye. Stay two nights on Skye, at the Northern end, then head South to Onich.

Fort William is also a truly horrible little town, so I would definitely shoot thought to Onich or Glencoe rather than spend a night there. It is only an extra 30 minutes in the car.

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

thanks a lot for all your answers.you've been very helpfull.Sadly i desided we are going to leave Skye out this time.As much as I want to go I'd rather not go at all if I don't have enough time to stop and appreciate what this country has to offer.I am already thinking about going next year and spending there at least couple of nights.It is amazing-I never been in Scotland and alresdy thinking about going back,but theres so many things I had to say no to 'cos we simply haven't got enough time that no doubt I'd want to come back for more...

7. Re: isle of Skye.is 1 day enough to explore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 12:22