We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

I'm trying to decide where to stay for a 4 day trip to Skye. Anyone recommend broadford over portree or a different town? We want to be in a town that has some amenities but doesn't have to be city like.

-Jeff

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

Jeff -

don't worry - there is nowhere 'city like' on Skye!

Broadford is quite strung-out, unlike Portree which is a compact town. I don't really know the other places, but I assume you have a car?

You don't always need to stay in a town, though.

Where you stay might depend on what you intend doing. I recently spent 3 days on Skye and hardly left the Sleat peninsula. (However, it was December and dark early, and I had been to Skye before)

Enjoy

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

Hi - I think you will have little to fear of any Skye village being too city like...Portee has a population of above 2500 and Broadford of about half that.

My suggestion would be to go for Portree - I think it is in a more attractive setting, and also has more of a village feel, whereas Broadford is rather strung out along one main road.

However both are good bases for seeing Skye, so whichever one you pick should be fine....

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

Hi there,

if you want various hotels, shops and pubs literally on your doorstep, then Portree and Broadford certainly fit the bill! Personally (if I were touring and didn't actually live here!!), I would prefer somewhere a little quieter with fewer people!

I must confess (if I had to pick one!), I actually prefer Broadford to Portree - Broadford has a mountainous backdrop (Bheinn na Callich dominates!) and the stretched out feel is because it follows the line of a large sandy bay with small grassy humps on the sand which become teeny weeny islands when the tide is in - wading birds and wildlife everywhere and with a huge view across the water to the mainland/Applecross & Torridon - it's a view I could enjoy all day!

Personally I would check out the websites of hotels & Guesthouses/B&Bs in various locations on Skye and simply pick the one that grabs you - they will all have photos of the views from their village/town - the scenery is stunning everywhere and realistically you can tour the island and Lochalsh (please don't forget Lochalsh - it has some of the most incredible scenery and landmarks hidden within it!) from pretty much anywhere on the island - please don't confine yourself to just 2 towns because they're the only 2 you've heard of - discover your own little piece of paradie - the place that's right for you!

Check out the following website:

www.skyewalk.co.uk

it divides the island (& its accommodation providers!) in to areas and then you can check it all out for yourself!

Pick the scenery you want to wake up in the middle of and then simply plan to tour from there! If you choose a very remote location on Skye then simply make sure you can find an evening meal close by or at the place you're staying! You can always eat before returning for the night of course! There are excellent restaurants dotted all over the island!

Have a great visit to the island wherever you end up sleeping!

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

Oops!

I do believe that should have read "a little piece of PARADISE.. "

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

I think Yorkielass makes very good points. I would agree that Skye is not about "towns". In my Xmas trip I didn't even reach Portree, and wouldn't have seen Broadford if I hadn't had to through it to get to Elgol - a place with stunning views, but there are so many great paces in Skye.

Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

Hi Jeff

Maybe I'm too late to reply. I live in Skye, between Portree and Broadford. I would recommend Portree for a base. Broadford is not a sheltered village, and if there's a cold north wind blowing....

From Portree it is easy to tour the Trotternish Peninsula (Staffin to Uig), over to Dunvegan, or

south via Broadford to either Elgol or Sleat.

Have a great trip.

7. Re: Which town to stay in Isle of Skye?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 22:16