We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye with Children

Essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Skye with Children

I will be visiting Torrin with our two boys (5yrs & 7yrs) in August this year . Can anyone suggest must-see places to visit?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye with Children

I did a boat tour to Loch Coruisk which they might like. If I remember correctly it a boat trip followed by a hike to the loch. There is also a broch on Skye that might be interesting for them to explore. There are lots of hikes. You could likely keep them to a length that would suit a 5-year old. Pam

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye with Children

Hi there - here's a few suggestions:

Calum's Seal Trips - Plockton

Bella Jane or Misty Isle Boat trip in to loch Coruisk

AquaXplore RIB boat trip to the Small Isles/whale watching

Kylerhea (Skye Ferry) to Glenelg - visit the Brochs & drive right round to Loch Hourn (Arnisdale & Corran) where you might meet the local 'friendly' stags who are more than happy to be fed by hand!

The Serpentarium at Broadford - educational and fun - handle a snake & then have a coffee next door!

Seaprobe Atlantis glass bottomed boat trip from Kyle

Kylerhea - walk to the Otter Hides - don't put too much emphasis on actually seeing any though - but the walk could be fun and the scenery is great and you can watch the Skye ferry as it crosses back and forth across the Narrows!

Walk up to the Old Man of Storr - an adventure with great views from the top

The Skye Museum of Island Life - at the very top of the island just above Uig - probably the best museum on the island - a bunch of crofting cottages/black house - set up as life was around 100 yrs ago on Skye!

Dunvegan Castle/Gardens & seal trips

Armadale Castle/Gardens and little wooden play area (tree stumps made in to obstacles etc.) - there's also a hidden viking long boat in the woods - an adventure!

Sea-Fari - whale watching trips out from Armadale

Sandy little beach & rock pooling adventure on the loop road off the Sleat main road - Ord, Tarskavaig, Tokavaig & Achnachloich - teeny weeny road, lots of sheep & cows & amazingly deserted little beaches - a true adventure - with amazing views for the grown ups too!

The Coral Beach at Dunvegan - cool fun for kids and adults alike - on a sunny day the colours are amazing!

Sandy Bay at the Point of Sleat - an amazing little pure white sandy beach - good walk to get to it through cow and sheep fields - following the farmers track - a bit of a hidden gem as many people don't know it's there - shhh! Walk round the side of the bay to maybe spot the seals basking on the rocks!

Nature walk from Armadale Pier - starts just next to Ragamuffin - a real adventure - this is a great one for smaller kids!

Skyeskyns up the Waternish Peninsula - see now the sheep skin rugs are made the traditional way and maybe treat yourself to 1 or 2!

Walk out to Neist Point Lighthouse (always a good chance of spotting whales from here!) - the kids can pull you back up the hill!

Pony Trekking at the Isle of Skye Trekking Centre or at Glenshiel Pony Trekking or have a walk with a difference - get some Llamas to carry your picnic with Lochend Llama Treks - yes you heard right - Llamas!!

Of course you have the cave excavations down the Torrin road too - you'll see them set up next to the road - cool stuff!

The beaches that follow the Braadford/Waterloo/ Breakish coast line are great for bird watching, rock pooling and generally having fun!

I'm sure others will remember things I've forgotten - have a great visit!!

Essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye with Children

Thank you SO much for all of that info....I shall print it off and take it all with me!! I have just ordered a book in Skye to read up on the history etc....so can't wait!

Glendale
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skye with Children

If you are visiting Neist Point then it is worth calling in at the Glendale Toy Museum and a nice cafe

(An Strpag) also in Glendale.

The Coral beach is great for kids. 4 miles past Dunvegan Castle and a flatish walk of 1 1/2 miles.

Watch out for the midges in Aug.

Essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skye with Children

Thanks for that ....and the midge advice. We normally visit Deeside in the Spring, so have not really experienced the "midges" before.

6. Re: Skye with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye