We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

I'll leave Portree in the morning then want to do in a day both the castle at Dornie and then head to Plockton and stay there for the night. Anyone can advise if this is possible with public transport?

This will be a Thursday in May.

I want to stay at Plockton for the night so I can catch the early morning train back to Inverness the next day. I wont consider staying at Dornie as I love train journeys more than bus/coach.

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

There will be Citylink buses that go past the castle en route to Inverness. Tell the driver you want off there.

I don't know the local buses in the area, but you could always phone for a taxi in Kyle of Lochalsh.

This should help -

www.yell.com and

http://www.travelinescotland.com/welcome.do

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,612 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Yes, you could get a public bus from Skye to Kyle. I'm sure you will get help with timings, etc from the people at your accomodation in Portree.

Set off early and enjoy the day at the Castle, then catch the train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Plockton (that's the Inverness train).

There are also Kyle Taxis and Plockton Taxis, you could carry their numbers in case you come unstuck.

You will love the train journey from Plockton to Inverness - very beautiful. Make sure you take some rfreshment for the train as there's usually no catering car.

You also asked about the Bunkhouse in Plockton. I've stayed in the B&B several times, it's fine, good breakfast but you may be too early for that catching 6.30m train.

The Bunkhouse part is a budget option, no breakfast provided but good kitchen and sitting area to do your own catering. It's usually very good but can suffer depending on who the other guests are that night. Or you can meet very nice people!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Thanks for useful tips.

Got in touch with Nessun Dorma at the station, hope they still have a room, cos I've contacted many B&Bs in town and many of them are full already.

So it doesn't feel too much in a hurry trying to fit the two places in one day? It seems I need to use Kyle of Lochalsh as the transport connection point between Dornie and Plockton.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

As for the taxi, are they expensive?

How much for example is it from Portree to Dornie? And Dornie to Plockton?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Don't know about those taxi fares, but Portree to Dornie is many miles and for that journey there is no need to take a taxi - the Citylink bus will get you there.

Dornie to Plockton is not nearly as far.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,612 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Keep phoning Nessun Dorma... or email, they're often away.

Think taxi would be very expensive from Portree as it's a long way. Not so much from Dornie, but you should be okay on train from Kyle to Plockton, last one I think is about 4.00pm.

Mind you it might be nice to arrive earlier and have a look round Plockton, too, as it's very beautiful.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Have already secured a room with Nessun Dorma :)

Just thinking what to do with the luggage that day - don;t want to tug it all round Dornie while visiting castle. Any left luggage around?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Tricky one, this. Can only suggest that you pop in to the Dornie Hotel for a coffee or a drink when you arrive, be friendly and talkative, and when you leave ask very nicely if they would mind having your bags for a few hours??

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

There is a recepion/greeting area at the castle itself in between the coffee shop & gift shop why not ask them if you can leave your bag there. Here is their website - you might want to e mail them asking this prior to your arrival, I am sure it will be fine.

eileandonancastle.com/visitor-information/op…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dornie and plockton in a day - transport how?

Returned from trip. The castle ticket office kindly let us leave bags there. And I noted we're not the only ones who had big bags and just wanna visit the castle while en route to other destinations.