We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretty with a pub

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Pretty with a pub

Hello, I'm not sure of this is a stupid question. My first visit to Skye at the end of March, and I don't know where to stay.

I would like to be in a village with pubs within walking distance, nice views, peaceful, we will have a car for days out...where would you reccommend?

Idealy I would like self catering , any recommendations gratefully received

Thank you

Glendale
Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pretty with a pub

Waternish is a good area. the captains house would put you in the centre of the township close to the oldest pub on Skye and lochbay restaurant.

Trips out would be the Quirang , the fairy glen nr Uig , Neist point (why not call in at the Toy Museum in Glendale) and the coral beach (past Dunvegan Castle. Then down the bottom of the Island to Armadale or to Elgol (top views of the Cullin hills)

Booking are up on Skye with many places being fully booked all year.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pretty with a pub

Thank you very much, I'll get looking and booking this afternoon

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pretty with a pub

Hi Anna,

there are many villages in the area that could fit the bill for you:

Broadford (one of the larger villages on Skye with stunning lochside/sandy bay views across to smaller islands and the mountains on the mainland)

Creelers Seafood Restaurant - amazing fresh (and most importantly local!) sea food - mmmm!

The Harbour restaurant is not open yet I don't think - great food if they were!

the Claymore restaurant/bar - good honest food

the Broadford Hotel's bar/dining area has wonderful views across to the bay & the mainland - do a great Sunday carvery/buffet - all you can eat for £12.95!

Kyleakin (friendly fishing village on the edge of Loch Alsh, just across the Skye Bridge on Skye - views of mountains & loch to all sides!):

Castle Moil Restaurant/Haakon Bar - right on the waters edge with views across to the Skye Bridge (great for a sunset!) and Applecross/Torridon mountains

Saucy Mary's Bar (also serves meals)

Both these bars have a reputation for great live music - normally every Friday & Saturday evenings & Sundays in the summer!

Top of the village you have an excellent Indian restaurant - Taste of India - very yummy!

On the harbourside you also have Harry's which serves meals during the day at the moment - not sure when his evenings will start - the locals will nag him until he does!!

Not strictly speaking in Kyleakin, but since the Bridge effectively links Kyle & Kyleakin in a very unique way, I have to highly recommend the Waverley Restaurant - simply gorgeous food and if and when the Saefood Restaurant opens up on the train station platform, they are great too - all very yummy and just a 5 minute drive (or by taxi or by bus, which actually run every hour until 11pm!).

Portree (largest village on Skye - the neaarest you'll get to a town at any rate!):

The Lower Deck Seafood Restaurant right on the harbourside - great food & I'm sure there is a bar down there! You'll also get great bar life in the Caledonian Urquhart & numerous other hotel bars around the town square.

Cafe Ariba & The Harbour View Seafood Restaurant will see you well fed too!

Plockton (just 10 mins on the mainland end of the Skye Bridge (pretty little fishing village with wonderful views too!):

Plockton Inn, Plockton Hotel, Plockton Shores Restaurant - all have a great repuation for their food and their bars should provide for a great evening - especially the Plockton Inn I believe!

Dornie (15 mins from the Skye Bridge on the mainland - home of Eilean Donan Castle, with beautiful mountain and lochside views everywhere!:

The Clachan Inn has a great reputation for both food and a good shindig!

2 good websites to find self catering:

www.cottageguide.co.uk

www.isleofskyeaccommodation.com

Apologies if I've missed out any other beautiful villages with a good bar & food nearby! Every village in the whole of Skye & Lochalsh gets to be beautiful in my opinion simply because of the scenery - you simply cannot escape the mountains or lochs - they are everywhere!

Have a great visit!

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pretty with a pub

Hello- I enjoyed www.eilean-iarmain.co.uk VERY much. The pub was the best, no,- the views, no wait- the food! Did not sleep there, so I can't speak for the bedrooms, but I ate there probably 10 times, never disappointed. Enjoy! --Sandy

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,921 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pretty with a pub

the rooms are lovely you even get a complimentary whisky from a small local distillery and the view from our room in the morning was stunning www.flickr.com/photos/goanjock/3250371063/

and flickr.com/photos/…

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pretty with a pub

I agree with the previous recommendation for Isleornsay village and the pub at Eilean Iarmain hotel. This is a great little village (hardly even big nough to be called a village... hamlet is more accurate). There is an art gallery, woolen shop and whisky shop in the village to.

A good B&B nearby at Barabhaig which we have visited. If you have he budget go to Kinloch Lodge Hotel, but be warned it isn't in walking distance of the village.

Stein is a another nice little village with a good pub and rooms at the Stein Inn. It also has the excellent Loch Bay seafood restaurant.

Broadford and Portree are the main communities and have the most choice of facilities, but you should also consider the Old Inn at Carbost. It has a bunk house with good facilities and a lively pub next door. You are also within walking distance of the Talsisker Distillery. The Old Inn has been up for sale and may have hanged owners by now, so I can't vouch for the food, but it used to be pretty good and always had something local on the menu.

I hope this helps,

Mike

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pretty with a pub

I agree about the recommendation also for Isle Ornsay on southern Skye, it gives you the best of both worlds - the stunning views over to the mainland, a pub to walk to and still not too far from the main facilities at Broadford. I found this nice cottage nearby

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/tighdhomhnuill/

We have visited the northern village of Stein several times, its very peaceful and pretty with a lovely pub and fish restaurant. The village is tiny so may feel a bit more "remote", it depends on what you are looking for. I have always wanted to stay at this cottage as I dont think you could get any closer to the sea, but unfortunately they dont take dogs. See here :

http://www.lochbayboathouse.co.uk/

8. Re: Pretty with a pub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 02:20