We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Book Accommodation?

canberra
14 posts
Save Topic
Pre Book Accommodation?

I am planning a trip to scotland for mid september and have a few questions about accommodation.

We will be spending a few nights on Isle of Skye...do you need to pre book a B&B or can we just sort it out once there? We are also planning on just getting in the car are touring around the highlands and stopping at random places...is it still busy in september? Do you feel this could be risky leaving accommodation to the last min? We would still like to stay someplace nice.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

September should be quiet enough to play it by ear. But if you want some sort of guarantee to stay at somewhere nice it might be better to either pre-book (check out the TA reviews) or spend time checking out the B&Bs before agreeing to stay there.

Picking accomodation as I go along has brought me to some of the best B&Bs I've ever stayed in. Some of these have had no web-presence at all.

My advice would be to go and not worry too much about accomodation. If you there are no B&B-signs in the area and night is creeping in, just start knocking on doors and things tend to turn out all right.

canberra
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

Thank you so much...it has eased my mind and we will just play it by ear.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

Be aware that it is a public holiday here in Scotland on the weekend beginning the 25th of September.

About 40% of the accomodation in Skye is already booked up for this weekend.

I can't imagine that the rest wont get snapped up between now and then especially as we have not had the best summer.

If you are planning you trip the week before this I don't think you would have the same difficulties finding accomodation.

You should have a beautiful trip, I think autumn is the most beautiful time in Scotland:>

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

If you're travelling alone and are not fussy go for it. If you are with family and might need 2 rooms, or if you're particular about where you stay I'd book in advance.

As someone who spent hours online trying to book B&Bs and hostels in June (also off peak) it's not always easy to get what you want.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

You will find somewhere - as even if a place is full they can usually suggest other alternatives. B&B accommodation in Scotland is consistently good and often very good. The downside is the hassle and stress of having to find somewhere... In country areas there may be less accommodation around and it may be further to go to find somewhere.

If September turns out hot and sunny there may be more tourists around.

Eleanor

Broadford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

I'm sure that in September you will have no problem at all especially if you are a couple. If you have a larger group it may be more difficult as most B&B houses tend to only offer 2 or 3 rooms.

Finding somewhere en-route gives you a lot more freedom to simply stick around somewhere you are enjoying and can become part of the adventure.

My only concern about the advice you have been given is regarding the first reply. I really wouldn't "just start knocking on doors" unless the house is a B&B and is advertising vacancies. But I'm sure common sense and good manners will already have lead you to that conclusion.

Have a great trip and enjoy all the places you discover...

Trondheim
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

To TheOM: I've actually used that method in rural Scotland a total of two times. The first time they directed me to local B&Bs off the main road and the second one they actually called around a bit and came back with a B&B with vacancies.

But as said, last resort.

scotland
Level Contributor
49 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

Hi rgdg

It is usually better to book as you know where you will end up and also will have sorted out price etc.

For the more adventurous I think in mid September you will find places to stay.

All the B+B places I know usually have a few other B+B friends that they will pass you on to if they are full so don't worry about knocking on a B+B door, it's quite a network.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

Check out www.visitscotland.com for accommodation help.

Portree, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre Book Accommodation?

This week is still very busy here so not sure how much it will quiten down. Although it may quiten a bit in September this has been the busiest season for a long time. Think I would tend to book ahead as you don't want to spend your vacation chapping doors. The tourist office would be able to book you accomadation though (if any available)on the day. I would recommend you check out reviews so at least you are forearmed. Have a great holiday.