We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food shops/ supermarkets

nottingham
8 posts
Save Topic
Food shops/ supermarkets

My boyfriend and I are staying at a cottage on the island (Braes), we are unsure on the size, location etc of food stores/supermarkets. If there is limited choice we will take more from home- we hope there are lots of local produce to be enjoy... your comments please.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

There's a big co-op in Broadford. Which town are you near?

nottingham
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

I believe we are about 5 miles from portree... but was unsure what provisions would be available

Burton, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

Hi ya...Portree is youe nearest place so we was told as you say about five miles or so away...

We are also staying in Braes (But next year) in a cottage belonging to mr & mrs Cameron overlooking loch Rassay...Chris

Could be the same cottage!!!...

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

There is a co-op in Portree which is bigger than the Broadford one. There are various local shops (e.g a very good butcher's in Portree High Street, a fish shop on the Pier in Portree, Mace, Somerfield etc, a travelling fishmonger who is sometimes in the Portree Co-op carpark and some local farm shops - e.g. Breakish). But finding good food on Skye is actually quite a challenge (all part of the fun).

Take more unusual store cupboard stuff with you if you can (e.g spices, sauces etc).

Just got back after a fortnight there and we want to live there forever!).

Good fish is surprisingly difficult to track down (compared to the markets in north of France where most of the Scottish seafood seems to go) although there is a seaford shop on an industrial estate in Broadford where the best stuff appears to be smoked produce which is also available in the Broadford and Portree co-ops).

Portree, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

No Mace here but I don't think that will be any loss. Fish van in Portree Coop Carpark is not there on Mondays but every other day (mornings at least). Coop in Broadford although, as previous post advises, is smaller is actually a very good shop. Use Portree coop, or Somerfield once here but worth a stop in Broadford on the way up. Excellent health food shop on Wentworth Street and across the road Vanilla Skye (chocolate shop) also sells limited fresh local produce well worth a visit. If you are eating out Isles Inn has freshly cooked food (huge portions) at reasonable prices. No booking but if using for lunch should be okay at night time, if busy, will take your name for list. Noticed the other day fire lit so very cosy now weather has turned a bit. Enjoy your trip.

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

I was thinking about Skye in general rather than Portree when I mentioned Mace. I was satying in Staffin last week where there is a Mace - quite a useful little shop for basic provisions and a small selection of local fresh stuff in the chiller.

nottingham
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

Thanks all for your advice and guidance. Have done further research, think will do big shop on route to the island, will go to Morrisons in Fort William, then get rest of fresh bits once there. Getting very ecited....comments re midges would be appreciated.... is avon SSS really the best?

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

Just spent a fortnight on Skye and were not really troubled by midges much at all. We took repellant but didn't use it. They were there but the wind and rain interspersed by brilliant sunshine all acted against the little beasties. Of course it depends where you are (we were based in Staffin but ventured as far as Glen brittle, Fairy Pools at the foot of the Cuilins, Talisker Bay, Bracadale, Uig, Fairy Glen and Portree) and what the weather is like for you.

Neither the wind, rain nor midges were bad enough to stop me wanting to return and live there forever (I wish).

Portree, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

SSS works pretty well for me (the original woodland fresh). Midges really have not been bad this year. As long as some wind or not too damp you should be fine. They are also not too annoying if you are walking about. Standing watching footie of an evening after the rain, and no wind is only for real fans.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food shops/ supermarkets

We just got back yesterday - and to be honest I wouldn't bother with your big shop in Fort William - the Co-op was very reasonable, very well stocked, easy to park at, and had all the offers that are on in every branch -all the buy one get one frees, this week's deals etc the same as all the big supermarkets - I was surprised how reasonable shopping there was - I paid a lot more for milk and bread at my local Spar before I went!!. Somerfield is also reasonable but harder to park near - too many tourists wandering around said our cottage owner!! The Portree Butchers is worth a visit, as is McKenzies Bakers on the square - enjoy - Midges weren't too bad last week - weather was mixed - would either be wet early then dry up - or other way round!