We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Skye in a motorhome

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Skye in a motorhome

Hi. My partner and I are touring western Scotland in September in a hired 2 berth motorhome and intend to take in the sights of Skye.

Could anyone tell us please of any routes we ought to avoid because of the size of the roads. I have driven Transits and Luton vans before and I would think the motorhome is just a shade bigger than a Transit. Many thanks .

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Skye in a motorhome

I haven't driven a motorhome in Scotland so this is just my view of roads I would avoid, if I did.

The road to Applecross over the Bealach na Ba ; (google it for an idea why).

The road to Glenelg;

Several single-track roads where I would not want to reverse to a Passing Place. But that may be due to my reversing skills.

Most of the roads around Lochinver.

The road to Achiltibuie.

The road to Daibaig....

But that's just me - these are some of the most scenic roads in Europe. Its just going to challenging with a motorhome. Note that the last 2 are dead-ends.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Skye in a motorhome

Thanks very much for your advice Peterscott. Will take note of that.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Skye in a motorhome

I have seen motorhomes attempting to drive along the narrowest, steepest single track roads. To do so inevitably frustrates other road users but it is a free country.

That having been said the main roads on Skye are wide and well surfaced but make sure you are confident at reversing if you venture onto single track roads

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Skye in a motorhome

That sounds a great trip.

Quite a few Skye roads are single track with passing places but some are probably more challenging than others - I guess you could start with one of the more straightforward ones - eg the route from Portree to and see how that goes. The road to the glenelg/Kylerhea ferry would be one of the more twisty and narrow so maybe best avoided.

There are some steep turns on the road to the Quiraing and down to Uig and the last bit of the road down to Elgol - but the views there are so good you could always park before the final bit down to the village and walk the last wee bit.

Do let us know how it goes.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Skye in a motorhome

Thank you Paul and fifporter for taking the time to reply with your advice. Much appreciated. Will keep you posted how our trip goes. We set off on September 10th for 2 weeks.

Humpyand madge.

6. Re: Touring Skye in a motorhome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 06:17