We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye maps?

Turku
1 post
Save Topic
Skye maps?

Hi

where I can buy a map of Isle of Skye? Can I find one in Portree Tourist Information Centre? Probably, but I just need to make sure because I'm coming to Skye outside UK. Could I find a Skye maps somewhere in Edinburgh too? Planning to walk the Skye Trail in June. Thanks

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye maps?

Any good bookshop will sell you a map of Skye.

Look out for WHSmith - they are at both the airport and the main railway stations; Waterstones - on bith Princes Street and George Street, or one of the outdoor shops like Cotswold.

I use the Ordnance Survey ones, as do most people who walk on Skye

…ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/search/…1

The Landranger ones are one and a half inches to the mile and you'd need two to cover Skye.

Then there's the Explorer range which is two and a half miles to the inch. You'd need three or four of these.

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye maps?

easy to buy online - try Stanfords

travel.stanfords.co.uk/search?w=skye&asug=

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye maps?

Stanfords are a VERY capable company: I have used them when sourcing maps of locations outside Europe.

Best not to wait until you get to Portree before buying maps. If you're flying in to Edinburgh you can get maps there.

However no need to wait. You can get as much detail as you want online as well as loads of route information from WalkHighlands

Register with them before looking at the detail, because they will then let you see hi-res maps. And they have good descriptions of each stage.

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/skye-trail.shtml

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/

Once you click into the details for a particular day, you can then click 'view/print route map'; and can then zoom in to see detail, up to 1:50000 scale. If registered you can get 1:25000 scale.

If you want really good paper maps, I recommend two by Harveys. Here are the details but they're available from many UK stores or online.

harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Skye_The_Cuillin.h…

You can get these maps and others in Hillwalking Stores like Tiso's in Edinburgh address: 123 - 125 Rose Street

http://www.tiso.com/

Edited: 28 May 2012, 22:32
Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skye maps?

Here's another option for you - this is aimed at tourists to the area - Philips do a large selection of "red books", for a variety of different areas within the whole of the UK:

amazon.co.uk/Philips-Books-Lochalsh-Leisure-…

Hope this helps too!

5. Re: Skye maps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:40