We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to Raasay

Barnsley
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to Raasay

We are coming up to Skye at the end of August and are thinking about visiting Raasay for the day.

Would we need to book the ferry in advance?

Also, would we be best to take our car across or is there enough to do within (easy) walking distance of the ferry terminal on Raasay?

any help gratefully accepted

Thanks

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to Raasay

I did this last year with my family (4 of us ranging from 15-45 yrs old and we are NOT super-fit hikers). There was plenty to keep us occupied for a day without taking the car. Lots of walks with varying length and degrees of steepness - from gentle strolling to a long route march.

Well worth a visit.

We didn't book our places on the ferry. Not sure if we would have needed to if we had taken the car.

You can see summer ferry times and costs here: calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to Raasay

The Raasay ferry doesn't take bookings, either for cars or passengers. Lovely island - plenty to do without taking the car, but if you do take the car you'll be able to drive up to the north end and see much more.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to Raasay

Raasay is a lovely and very scenic island - if you want to know more about island life have a look at lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/about/ a blog about life at 'The end of the road' i.e. the north end of Raasay. Just great!

Barnsley
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to Raasay

thanks to everyone for your replies.

deedinburgh - It's thanks to the life at the end of the road blog that I really want (need) to visit Raasay - so many gorgeous photos and fascinating stories

london
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to Raasay

nice to meet some other fans of the Life at the end of the Road blog ... I'm planning on visiting in mid August, Lisa, for exactly the same reason you are!!

6. Re: ferry to Raasay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye