We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Hi fellow travellers

My husband and I are travelling to Isle of Skye with my parents who are visiting from New Zealand in August. They love beautiful scenery, walking, the coast, delicious food, and castles.

Here is my draft itinerary, would really appreciate any comments (especially if we are trying to pack in too much to our schedule, other great places to visit which I haven't thought of, and the quality of the tracks I am proposing we walk, my dad has had two hip replacements in the past, he's fine but sometimes the unstable/hilly walks aren't the best idea):

Friday:

* After work drive Edinburgh to Stirling

Saturday:

* leave Stirling for Isle of Skye

* Stirling Castle

* Wallace Monument

* Eileen Donan Castle

Sunday:

* Trotternish Peninsula

* Sligachan

* Old Man of Storr walk

* Quirang walk

* Faerie Glen walk

* Skye Museum of Life

Monday:

* Duirinish and Waternish Peninsulas

* Dunevegan Castle

* Neist Point Lighthouse

* Talisker Distillery

Tuesday:

* Boat trip Elgol to Loch Coruisk

* Armadale Castle

* Ferry to Mallaig

Initially I thought Tuesday after the boat trip drive back to Edinburgh but might make it a long day?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Catherine

1. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 20:05
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Hadn't considered that, thanks for the idea of Raasay, will look into it :)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

I think you're trying to pack too much in if you intend doing more than just turning up at these places, having a quick look and driving on.

If you want to do the Quiraing walk and also the Old Man of Storr walk then that would take most of the day.

Same goes for the Monday. Are you just going to drive round the peninsulas or get out and walk.

I suppose it's not a bad idea to have a wish list you can alter on the day once you get there and see what the weather's like.

If the boat trips are off due to weather you can spend longer at the castle.

You're hitting what I'd consider the best sites. There are of course lots more.

Don't miss the Red Roof Cafe at Glendale

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

It's basically a good itinerary, but don't expect to do absolutely everything. Keep it as a menu, or as the goodwitch says, a wish list, from which you can select the things and places that appeal most as you go along.

Have a great trip!

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Tuesday looks action packed! Two things, I love Neist Point but the steps can be a bear if you aren't used to a climb. If you're hingry when you get to Glendale-just before Neist Point- you can get a great lunch at the Red Roof Cafe. I just saw thegoodwitch beat me to that suggestions so consider it seconded!

There is a nice walk that starts past Dunvegan castle and goes to the coral beaches.

Also a very nice walk to Talisker Bay that begins down toward Carbost.

When you get to Mallaig be sure to stop and see Grumpy George in his shop.

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

you should stop off at the three chimneys for lunch - its amazing! that would be on your Dunvegan/neist point day!

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Three Chimneys is great! But book the table early and take pots of money. If you have need of a great dinner recommendation I'd go for The Old School in Dunvegan. Family owned for many years and a great atmosphere.

wenonah, new...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

The lighthouse walk is quite long. Take a look at Coral Beach. Much shorter and very beautiful.

Also to go all the way to the top of the Storr will take half a day. Consider going to the clearing before you get to the rocks then continue to the waterfall just up the road and drive the Quirang to UIG. Beautiful and many places to get great pictures. Nice little place in Uig to get lunch a few doors from the Isle of Skye Brewery, Had a grilled cheese and haggis sandwich and I lived.......

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Yes we do want to get out and walk around so it's good to know we are packing too much in. Our schedule is a bit flexible so we might try stay a fourth night. Thanks for the cafe recommendation!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Draft itinerary Isle of Skye for August - please critique

Ooooh yes I had read about the coral beaches, perhaps that would be a better option for a walk instead of the lighthouse. Is it possible to drive up to the lighthouse instead?