We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

I find it very, very, very difficult (in fact impossible) to find self-catering anything from room, studio, flat, cottage... place to stay for TWO people. Are there really so many people travelling in groups of 6, 8 and 10? I was wondering if it would be possible to share a place? All we want is bed, bathroom and corner in kitchen for the freedom over our own time for 7 days.

Does any other couples find it difficult to find self-catering?

Other problem is the change over day - saturday.... even if on search results it says clearly- turnover 'ANY' the answer on enquiry is - no, change over day- saturday.

It is very sad and very couple unfriendly.

.. or i'm just looking in the wrong places?

thanks!

11. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 19:39
Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

Just popped onto cottageguide and here are 4 cottages on the first page with availability for the period you're after, all costing approx. £350 for a week - you could hire for a week and then just take 3 or 4 days within that - the cost is still within the price you're looking for.

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/tigh-na-fraoch/

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/ambothanskye/

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/arnishcottage/

www.cottageguide.co.uk/loch-nevis-cottage/

There will be more - I just spent a few minutes scrolling down the list under Sleeps 4. Hope this helps. I can't imagine many people booking a cottage wanting to share their new home with strangers - I know I wouldn't - if I'm in a holiday cottage, that kitchen is mine - all mine! :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

Thank you 'YorkieLass'! two of the places i checked out earlier this month :) but one had slipped past... just send the enquiry..

thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

Not on Skye but you could try visitscotland.com/info/accommodation/braemor… as well as self catering they have bed and breakfast rooms where you have access to a shared kitchen and you can book the rooms by the night. It would be flexible and is very nice.

Apart from that I agree with all the other posters as most businesses need a fixed change over day. I've certainly rented lots of properties for 2 but most have been 2-3 bedroom ones and so they can usually charge more.

If you can wait until the last minute you might be able to get different dates, or get a discount if you don't use the whole property. I've certainly done that but you do have less choice and it is risky for peak season.

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
94 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

I've been planning a two week trip using a combination of TripAdvisor and Google Maps. I'm traveling alone and haven't had much trouble at all booking at B&B's at very reasonable prices. I'm not so sure I'll be eating the breakfast but it seemed the best way to go.

16. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 22:05
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

Advertising isn't allowed on TA, Rick

Edited: 30 March 2013, 21:42
Barnstaple, United...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

Apologies - this was my first posting on TA and I obviously didn't appreciate the T&A's properly. I simply thought I was offering a solution to the question. Still, that's me told!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

No worries Rick. Any advice you have for the OP is welcome. You just can't suggest your own property

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Self-catering on Isle of Skye (and in Scotland general)

i've missed :)

I'm not a first time traveller.

Annoying thing is about 'just ask' - once you send your enquiry, thats it! they got your e-mail and they keep sending you useless information about fully booked properties and houses with 4 and 5 bedrooms....

Travelling in UK is a hard job :)) no need to pretend is not so. Just some of us are very keen and apreciate the scenery. :)

thanks for all the response!