We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

My friend and I are planning to visit Isle of Skye in August and to spend maybe day or two there. We don´t want to hire a car. Is it possible to explore the island without a car? I guess we are going to to spend nights in Portree and make that as our base. What places are worth of seeing and would you recommend that are in the walking distance from Portree or in the near area?

Also what is the easiest way to travel to Isle of Skye, when we travel from Edinburgh or Glasgow..by bus perhaps?

Mentioned in this post
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

The bus is simple from Glasgow. And it goes through Glencoe.

The train is spectacular - to Mallaig, and then by ferry to Skye and then local bus onwards.

See Travelinescotland for public transport options.

I think you'll find transport on Skye very sparse. I would suggest stay in Plockton (near Kyle of Lochalsh) and then get the train to Inverness and then south to Edinburgh.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

Hitchhike - very easy to get lifts on Skye. :) From Portree there is a bus North to the OLd Man of Storr and further north to Staffin, not sure how frequent the bus is, but Old Man of Storr is walkable. there are also buses from Portree to the Talisker distillery and then on to the road for the Cuillins. Citylink coach from Glasgow will take you to Portree via Fort WIlliam. Train would be Glasgow Queen St to Mallaig then ferry then bus to Portree.

Mentioned in this post
Staffin
Staffin
Isle of Skye, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Talisker
Talisker
Isle of Skye, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

No - I'm sorry, but I disagree. I enjoy hitching, and would recommend to someone who knows what they are doing.

Suggesting hitch-hiking is the way to go is not really sensible unless we know the person can look after themselves, and judge when, and when not, to get into a car.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of travelling all the way to Skye, then you need to explore the island properly, otherwise it's not worth the journey. As peterscot says, it's easy to travel to Portree by Citylink coach, but once on the island, the local bus services are very poor, and if you want to get the best out of your visit you really do need to hire a car.

Mentioned in this post
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

Thanks for the travel tips! I guess we are going to leave hitch-hiking to someone who has more experience in that area :). Also we don't wan't to hire a car because in my country we drive on the right-hand side. We are not used to left-hand driving so we don't wan't to take risk that something bad would happen..

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

Why not go to Arran?

Much closer;

Better bus services;

many things within walking distance;

mountains, glens, coast;......

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

Every day, many many people arrive in the UK from countries where they drive on the right, they pick up a hire car, and they drive away on the left. And a significant % of them do so at airports and in major cities, where the traffic is dense and sometimes fast as well.

You, on the other hand, are planning to visit a very quiet and remote corner of the UK, where traffic is light and people tend to drive relatively slowly. And many of the roads on Skye are single track, so the left/right issue doesn't really apply anyway! So you really don't need to worry about it.

8. Re: Exploring Isle of Skye without a car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 06:18