We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking the quiraing

Bellbrook, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
walking the quiraing

we are 5 mature adults in good health who will be on skye for three days. we want to walk in the quiraing. we want to spend about two hours there early in the morning . what is the best/easiest walk we can take? where can we get a good map that can assist us in the walk? thanks

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,326 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking the quiraing

Have a look at this link www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/quiraing.shtml if you don't want to do the full walk due to time then just turn back after an hour or so as it is still well worth doing.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking the quiraing

Or, if you don't want to bear to the left and go up the hill you can go straight ahead and sort of reverse the route. Not as much of a climb but still some spectacular views. You will reach a rocky ravine that you can either cross- not great footing here- or turn around at that point. Be aware that this is a very windy area and you need to take precautions not to get too close to the edge of the cliff.

Bellbrook, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking the quiraing

can i get a good view of the rock table/needle rock, ocean in about an hour walk? is it easier to go left or right from the parking lot? is it possible to cut across the table/needle rock to shorten the walk? i looked at the map and photos. great stuff

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking the quiraing

I'd go right for a slightly less strenuous walk. You walk up between the most amazing rock formations and can turn back if you run out of time

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking the quiraing

Actually, I re-reading the walkhighlands recommendation I found that it wasn't what I was suggesting. An easier, shorter but still spectacular walk is to take the B road either from Staffin and go UP the hill and west or start on the A855 out of Uig and go over toward the Quirang to the east. At the top of the hill is a parking area. You can cross the road and walk south and get a great view of the sea and the mountains. This page :

http://www.ryboltcox.com/Photography/Scotland-and-England-2012/23072587_m2QdWp#!i=1867086067&k=5WcVJfc

and the page just before has some views of this area. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Re: walking the quiraing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:19