We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two full days in Skye

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Two full days in Skye

Hello,

We'll be spending two full days in Skye (late May), more specifically at a B&B in the Carbost area. I have an idea on how to spend these two days but I wanted to see what you all think -- if it's doable or not.

Day 1:

- Leave Carbost early in the morning towards Glen Brittle and walk the Fairy Pools

- Back to Carbost, Talisker Distillery should be open by now - take a tour

- Drive towards Glendale, lunch at Red Roof Cafe,

- Walk to Neist Point

- Dunvegan Castle (worth the time?)

- Walk to Coral Beach

- Drive towards Portree, dinner in Portree

- Drive back to Carbost

Day 2 Trotternish Peninsula (which direction is better, clockwise or counter?):

- Drive to Uig via Portree, detour to Faerie Glen for the walk there

- Walk the Quairaing (what's the best "bang for your buck" walk here?)

- Kilt Rock and Lealt Falls

- Walk to Old Man of Storr (what's the best "bang for your back" walk here?)

- Drive back to Carbost via Portree

Since we are sleeping in nearby Carbost, I would like to finish one of the two days by doing the Talisker Bay short walk and appreciate the sunset from there.

Is all of this doable or am I packing way too much?

Thank you in advance!

Go to St Kilda
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Multi-day Tours
Skyeskyns
Sightseeing Tours
Skye Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Real Scottish Journeys - Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two full days in Skye

Quiraing: see www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/quiraing.shtml, then click through onto the route map.

There are a number of rock features and you can scramble up and down slopes (from below) to get the best out of them, and you have two options, one being a route along the clifftops, the other being a footpath marked on the map whcih drops you down past loch Hasco [and the adjacent Fingal's Pinnacles] and to the coast road at Flodigarry. That's a decent walk if you can arrange transport back to the carpark at the start. e.g. a 5-10 min taxi ride for the car driver.

Old man of Storr: you have to expend a lot more bucks to get your bang. You start on the coastal road and you climb uphill through woods to get to the old man of storr and needle rock. Again, see the route and click onto the map www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/thestorr.shtml However you can half the duration by not ascending further than the old man.

Kilt rock: is more a matter of stopping and looking, so it won;t take long

The Fairy Glen: is sort of prettily strange and is a much more low key short walk compared with the Quiraing. www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/fairyglen.shtml

Direction: well, the east coast gets morning sun, the west gets afternoon evening sun. Assuming that you get sun.

I don't think you'll run out of time. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time wandering about the Quiraing however. If you're outdoorsy sort of people I don't think you'll find it hard work; but please make sure you're properly equipped: boots not trainers, waterproofs etc - even if the weather looks good you're wandering up and down muddy paths and through rockfields.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two full days in Skye

Thank you so much Derek. It's encouraging to see that the Trotternish day is doable as it is the day I'm looking forward the most.

I'd love to be able to get to this vantage point at Storr, if I can make it!

https:/…storr.JPG

Any input on Day 1?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two full days in Skye

Hi

Your day 1 sounds do-able but you are packing a lot in. It is many years since I went to Dunvegan castle and I haven't rushed back, but I guess it depends on what interests you. All the other options sound good.

I guess the only concern I had was that it sounds a bit like one of my to-do lists at work rather than just being absorbed in enjoying a place and forgetting about time, but go for whatever appeals to you.

There is so much that is lovely on Skye - enjoy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two full days in Skye

Thank you both for your replies! I feel good to have a plan now. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, I'm very excited about it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two full days in Skye

I returned from my Scotland trip last week. It was an incredible journey altogether.

I wanted to thank you for the help with my itinerary, we had to tweak some things on the fly due to time / weather / etc. Instead of describing every thing, i'll post links to the albums showing the places we covered as an image is worth a thousand words. The scenery in Skye is stunning. It was the highlight of my trip for sure.

The day we arrived to skye via ferry we had reservations to the Misty Isle tour to Loch Coruisk. We barely made it to the ferry (we arrived 5 minutes after the check in time and they wouldn't let us in -- fortunately we got in, we were the last car on the boat -- we would have missed the boat trip otherwise).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Day 1 from itinerary above, after checking the weather we decided to swap Day 1 and 2 as Trotternish was the priority and had better weather for Day 1. Glad we made the choice. Couldn't hike the Storr because it hailed as soon as we started the hike but was able to do both the Quiraing (my favorite hike) and Fairy Glen. Wow.

Day 2 (marked as Day 1 originally):

The weather didn't cooperate. It rained most of the day. It poured early in the morning so a whisky tour at Talisker worked well. Managed to hike some of the Fairy pools before it rained again. Neist Point was out of the question, the conditions were extremely poor. Still enjoyed driving around the rest of the Island, it was simply beautiful.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 03:33
Glasgow, Scotland...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Two full days in Skye

Hi,

I am planning a trip to skye..could anybody tell me what is the cab fare like from carbost to the fairy pools or from carbost to portree..any rough idea?

Cheers

7. Re: Two full days in Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:23