We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time on the island

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Time on the island

I will be on the isle of skye based in portree from july 20-25, then driving to edinburgh from 25-28.

Should I do skye for one less day and edinburgh for an extra day?

We will be hiring a car

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time on the island

It depends on why you are going to those places. Will 4 days be enough for you?

I don't know your plans.

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time on the island

Just vacation, first time in scotland, wanted to see the highlands. Limited time so we settled on skye and wanted to see the nature and its. beauty. Our flight home is from edinburgh, so we wanted to see that city too.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time on the island

So a day or so either way won't make any difference. Enjoy.

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time on the island

So 4 full days on skye and 2 full days in edinburgh is ok? Like I said I can do 3 and 3.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time on the island

"So 4 full days on skye and 2 full days in edinburgh is ok?"

Yes. Any combination, except 1:5, is fine. Don't sue me if you are bored after 2 days.......

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time on the island

Skye is spectacularly beautiful given good weather, it is rural, mountains, sea lochs etc.

Edinburgh is a large cosmopolitan city with a lot of history, only you can decide where you would rather spend more time,

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time on the island

Hi. Interesting question.

What do you imagine yourselves doing? If hiking, mountains, sea trips are your thing, Skye for 4 days is great. If you see yourselves exploring galleries, museums, shopping and the medieval city scapes of Edinburgh then obviously an extra day there would go down well.

They are both great locations and showcase Scotland well, but you are best placed to determine how to split your time between them.

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time on the island

Personally I like mountains and the outdoors and I wouldn't be fazed by a bit of weather. What do you like most?

Please look at undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/west… and you can work out what's worth doing on and around Skye.

e.g. a day trip from Kyle up to Torridon, if you do find time dragging on your hands.

Approx 5 hrs drive from Portree to Edinburgh, so a full day''s travel by the time you think about some stops. Do you want to look for places to visit while on the way?

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time on the island

We both love scenery, but I love old towns too. I think I will break it up to 3 and 3, as I'm sure I would be able to drive all of skye to see all the attractions and wouldn't want to miss anything in edinburgh. I'm nervous that after 3 days on skye we may get bored.

I'm sure if we see all of edinburgh somehow in 2 days we can find something around there for a day trip.

I know it is a long drive from portree to edinburgh, but yes is love to know if there is something great to see or do on the way.

I was in York last year for a wedding and thought it was gorgeous...my only trip to uk so far.

10. Re: Time on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:16