We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long to See These Sites?

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
How Long to See These Sites?

We are trying to finalize plans for Skye and have at least two nights there - we are wondering if that will be enough given the number of things to do on the island.

Here is a list of things we have read about and heard about on TA - could anyone tell us which ones are the must sees, and how long we would need to see these sites?

- Fairy Pools

- Cuillins down by Glen Battle

- the Trotternish Ridge escarpment

- Kilt Rock and Leah Falls

- Elgol and the boat trip to Loch Coruisk

- Eilean Donan castle

- Old Man of Storr

- Neist Point and the lighthouse

- Dunvegan castle (not sure if this is a must see)

- Faerie Glen

Is there anything important missing?

We have heard that some sites are just short walks or drive throughs.

We were interested in getting into the Cuillins to hike and get some nice scenery but we have received some warnings about this so we may not pursue any further.

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for helping.

Mentioned in this post
Fairy Pools
Fairy Pools
1,841 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Trotternish Ridge
Trotternish Ridge
59 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Kilt Rock
Kilt Rock
1,314 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Elgol
Elgol
Isle of Skye, UK
Dunvegan
Dunvegan
Isle of Skye, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

"Is there anything important missing?"

Yes. Time.

Time to slow down and enjoy your surroundings.

The last time I was on Skye, I had the luxury of 4 or 5 days. I only left the the Sleat peninsula briefly, to visit Elgol, so saw none of the things you have listed (except Eilan Donan, which is on the mainland) The roads are not designed for speed, and you will not see everything, so I would advise against compiling long lists of "must-sees". 2 things per day. EG Elgol boat trip and the Cuillins at Glen Brittle. All the rest is a bonus. If you have time, or are bored with the Cuillins, move on.

And there are hundreds of hikes you can do that don't involve the Cuillins. Most are very safe. The Cuillins are probably the most challenging range in the UK, so you can always enjoy seeing them from the top of nearby, more gentle, hills.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Sleat
Sleat
Isle of Skye, UK
Elgol
Elgol
Isle of Skye, UK
Glen Brittle
Glen Brittle
15 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

My highlights in order

The boat trip to Loch Coruisk from Elgol with a couple of hours to walk around the loch

The view of the Cuillins from Elgol if you don't have time for the boat trip

The walk up the Quiraing at Trotternish

The walk over to Glenbrittle from Sligachan

The walk to Waternish Point (good chance of seeing whales and lots of birds) + lunch at the Stein Inn

Afternoon tea at the Red Roof Cafe

Plockton - I know it's not on Skye but you included Eilean Donan

The rest are interesting but not things I do each time I'm on Skye

Mentioned in this post
Elgol
Elgol
Isle of Skye, UK
Glenbrittle
Glenbrittle
Isle of Skye, UK
Sligachan
Sligachan
Isle of Skye, UK
Waternish Point
Waternish Point
10 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

... and you would need at least two clear days (i.e. staying three nights) to do even the Goodwitch's more selective list.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

To be honest my list would fill 4 or 5 days. Skye isn't a place to rush. With only 2 nights and 3 days I'd stop at Eilean Donan en route and Plockton on the way off and spend one day driving down to Elgol and doing Loch Coruisk. Next day I'd drive round the Trotternish Peninsula and stop for a walk from the car park on the Staffin - Uig road. You could have a decent walk up the Quiraing from here in a couple of hours.

I think you need more time on Skye

Mentioned in this post
Elgol
Elgol
Isle of Skye, UK
Staffin
Staffin
Isle of Skye, UK
Uig
Uig
Isle of Skye, UK
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

Well, two nights just doesn't seem like much does it - I too listed everything I wanted to achieve in each possible area covered on our trip - Skye (and Edinburgh) produced the longest lists (and easily so).

So there is always a trade off isn't there? In this case, we could take more time in Skye but we would be giving up one of:

- overnight at Castle on Mull (possibly visit Iona)

- two or three nights versus four in Edinburgh

- giving up a night in Glencoe

Let's say you had the choice between taking two nights in Skye, or taking three (or four) and knocking one or more nights off of one of the above stays (cancelling Mull completely/shaving Edinburgh to two nights) - would you do it?

We have four nights in Glencoe - I hesitate to give one of these up as one full day will be used for the train and Fort William area, while another will be left for Ben Nevis, and yet another for Loch Ness, plus the accommodations work nicely for travel with kids. Perhaps we could take off a night, but it would be nice to keep it at four.

Any further reply is super. Not sure when and if we can ever come back.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Iona
Iona
The Hebrides, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

I wouldn't give up a night in Glencoe, as you say it's a great base to explore other area's especially if the accommodation suits. I would be tempted to cut Edinburgh to three nights (I haven't read your Edinburgh but you don't have the same travel times between sites etc. so can still cover/visit a lot by staying three nights)

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

Hmmm...good point about covering several sites that are close together in Edinburgh goanjock - I did post a similar thread about things to see and do in Edinburgh on a post in the Edinburgh forum if you are interested.

I am hoping to see Stirling and Falkirk Wheel as well as Glamis castle (hoping to show the kids a haunted castle - if there is one) plus the Bo'Ness museum outside the city is a must for us (car fans). We are also having a scheduled lunch at an Inn just outside Edinburgh. It almost seems like we would need a day for all this - since the drive from Skye to the city is so long, I am not sure we'll be able to stop and see anything at all en route to the city. Is this a good assumption to make?

Inside Edinburgh, one idea I had was to have an early dinner one evening, and then climb to the top of Arthur's seat after dinner to see the view over the city - I hope that would work, and as we have no plans in the evenings, this would free up a little time to look around at other sites in the daylight hours. What time does the sun set in mid to late summer?

Thank you for the note on Glencoe - whew!! It is a relief to know a night does not have to be given up there.

Ideally, I think we would want 4 Glencoe, 4 Skye, 2 Mull, 2 en route (Perthshire??), and 4 in Edinburgh but that is several days over the limit for us for sure as we only have 10 nights : ( Wish we had more.

Many thanks again.

MB

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

Hard choices! Goanjock's solution is one way. Alternatively, you could cut Glencoe to three nights, and skip the Loch Ness day - Loch Ness is overrated, IMO, and whenever I've been passing the monster has been taking a day off..............

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Long to See These Sites?

I agree with DHMellor. You'll no doubt be passing Loch Ness after leaving Skye, anyway.

I don't think it works to ask others what they would cut out, as we all have different experiences and requirements.

However, I can't recall why you are going to Mull, but if you have to cut time, I'd be tempted to perhaps leave out Mull/Iona.

Mentioned in this post
Iona
Iona
The Hebrides, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Long to See These Sites?