We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Base on Isle of Skye

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Base on Isle of Skye

We will be on the Isle of Skye for three nights in September. We'll have a car. From what I've seen we could base in the following areas...Which would be best and do you have any hotel recommendations.

Just across the Kyle Bridge

Cabost area

Dunvegan area

Uig area

Portree area

Broadford area

Any suggestions? We just want to tour around and see the Isle...no real agenda.

Thanks!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

Oh, and any other place on Skye that you favor would be appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

If you want to tour round and visit the whole island, obviously it's best to choose somewhere central. I suggest Portree. Hotel recommendations depend entirely on your budget. Have a look at the reviews here on TA. Hotels on Skye can be a bit pricy and not always good value - B&B's can be a better bet.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

I've noticed the high price of hotels. I'm looking at B and B's. Uig seemed to have some reasonable places, but it's a bit far up north.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

our budget is around 100 a night for a hotel or b and b, BTW

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

Since you're from Iowa, just to be clear - do you mean $100 or GBP 100 per night?

We stayed at a B&B in Portree. Portree is pretty centrally located, so fairly easy to get to the north or south. And basing yourself somewhere is how we prefer to travel. BUT - since you'll have the car, have you considered just making a loop and staying at a different location each night? Depending on what you want to see, you could well end up doing some backtracking to/from Portree or wherever else you base yourself.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

Yes, at that price you might be best going for the high-end B&Bs. I've never actually stayed in Portree, but I hear some of them are very good.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

I'm sorry...100 GBP

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

We too prefer to base instead of picking up and finding another place. It seems that the time we spend backtracking is worth the extra time packing, repacking, finding a place, etc. Especially, if we can find local pubs, restaurants, etc to return to. To me the distances on Skye don't look that great; however, I realize that the local roads might slow traffic down. I'm sure there's nothing like the Autobahn in Scotland!

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

Definitely nothing like the Autobahn!! We spent 2 nights in Portree (all we could get) and were scheduled to spend a third night just off Skye. The weather did not cooperate and visibility was a problem, so we bagged our third night and only spent one full day on Skye. On that day we drove from Portree up the coast to the north, around through Dunvegan (arriving after the castle had closed) and back to Portree. It was a long day, since I like to stop at all scenic areas. It would have been MUCH longer had we actually been able to see anything inland!

We stayed at Ben Tianavaig B&B in Portree and have no complaints. I haven't written a review quite yet, but will. I think you should be able to get a room there for under 100 GBP.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Base on Isle of Skye

Thanks! I'll check the B and B out. Hopefully, three days will be enough. I have one night wiggle room since we could shorten Edinburgh up by one day...I'd gone to school there a looong time ago so it's not like it would be a new discovery for us.