We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Skype Area

aberdeen
10 posts
Save Topic
Isle of Skype Area

Hi

We are travelling from Aberdeenshire with our 11month old son and would like to see Applecross, Isle of Skye, Plockton area. We only have sunday night arriving and leaving wed afternoon to meet family in Oban. I am open to suggestions but do you think it is worth staying in the one place for the 3 nights and travelling by car to see a lot of these places or do you think it is worth staying Applecross, Plockton then maybe in Skye?

Any suggestions/comments are highly welcome as this trip has just been sprung upon me and we leave in 2 weeks which is also proving difficult to find availability in hotels so any recommendations for places to stay are welcome too.

Many Thanks x

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Skype Area

Isle of Skype!! I thought this was going to be a question about internet coverage.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Skype Area

With an 11 month old, I think I'd want to base myself somewhere so I wouldn't be constantly packing and unpacking the car.

Either way, I think you could have some longs days in the car. Is your child a good traveler?

aberdeen
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Skype Area

Oops, only just noticed it says Isle of Skype..grrr iphone predictor :)

He isnt too bad a traveller in the car. We wouldnt want to spend too long in the car but 1-2 hours here or there he will cope with.

london
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Skype Area

personally I'd go for two locations ... maybe somewhere around Lochcarron to do a circular trip around the Applecross peninsula, then somewhere on Skye ... on Skye you could either stay centrally in Portree or Broadford, or in the north of Skye to see the Old Man of Storr etc, or in Elgol for the boat trips ... you can see Plockton on the way between the two

by the way, I was recommended to do the trip around Applecross anti-clockwise, going up to Sheildaig then round the peninsula from there ... the reasoning behind this is that you do the most spectacular part, the Pass of the Cattle, downhill and can enjoy the views best ... it certainly worked for me

aberdeen
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Skype Area

Many thanks cazinatutu

?

Is there just the one road into Applecross? I thought there was only one road up to Sheildaig etc? do you mean going up to then come back down or is there another road im not looking at? i am waiting on a book arriving but for now i am relying on google maps x

london
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Skype Area

here's a map of the Applecross peninsula

…undiscoveredscotland.com/ustours/…

as you can see, most people do it as a circular tour ... on this map they're recommending a much bigger circle than I talked about above, it's up to you which you do, but the one I did (Lochcarron, Sheildaig, Applecross, Pass of the Cattle) made a lovely whole day trip albeit with lots (and lots) of stops to enjoy the view and a longer stop at Applecross Inn to eat ... I see on this website they're encouraging you to do it clockwise, whereas I was encouraged by a local to do it anticlockwise, again up to you but I was very thankful that I was tackling the very steep Pass of the Cattle downhill and not uphill

london
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle of Skype Area

PS : Belach na Ba translates as "Pass of the Cattle"

8. Re: Isle of Skype Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye