We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

Brighton, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

I am going to travel with a friend in October from Edinburg to the Highlands. I prefer traveling by ourselves.

My friend from Scotland suggested me to take a train from Edinburg to either Fort William or Inverness, then take the bus to the Isle of Skye.

Is it doable? Which route is better and which bus(es) should I take from Fort Willam/Inverness?

And, any suggestions for accommodation in the Isle of Skye?

Many thanks in advance for your great advice!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

There are buses to Portree on Skye from both Fort William and Inverness. See www.citylink.co.uk. Fort WIlliam is a bit closer and has a slightly better bus service, so I would suggest that.

You could also continue by train past Fort WIlliam to Mallaig, where you can take a ferry to Skye. But that takes you to a fairly out-of-the-way spot called Armadale, and buses from there to Portree, Skye's 'capital' are fairly infrequent.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

If you want to go to Fort William or Mallaig by train, you firstly go toGlasgow, and tyou take the tain from there.

If you're looking for excellent scenery, the trains from Glasgow to FW and then FW to Mallaig Can't be beaten.

You can combine these with a train to Inverness by taking the ferry from Mallaig to Skye, a local bus to Kyle of Lochalsh, then trains to Inverness and onwards back to Edinburgh. I would prefer train to bus, personally: more restful.

As mentioned by DHMellor ... sorry to repeat, but it's worth repeating!

The bus route from Glasgow to FW goes via Glencoe to FW, a slighly different route to the train which heads north over Rannoch Moor. There are a few buses direct from Edinurgh to FW in Summer. Not sure when they stop.

PS There are a few buses from Armadale to Broadford daily, and there are regular buses either to Portree if you want to spend some time on Skye, or to Kyle. You won;t be stuck. I'd recommend a few days on Skye if you can manage it. There are infrequent local buses, and taxis. Or car hire on the island, based on Kyle.

Brighton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

Many thanks to DHMellor and Derek! I will definitely look into your suggestions.

How long will you estimate for us to travel from Edinburg to Glasgow, to Fort William and then to Skye?

Any suggestions for accommodation?

Thank you!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

scotrail.co.uk/content/timetables-connections

citylink.co.uk/timetables/…Glas2Skye.pdf

5. Re: Advice for traveling by train to the Highlands from Edinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye